Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

Let's see if there is any consensus on wooden 4x5 field cameras. Obviously there are several options, but maybe there are some significant standouts. Having just gone through the matrix of selection, I found myself conflicted over a few different choices. Please consider rigidity/stability, build-quality, size, weight, ease of use, available movements, max/min extension, special features and cost.
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 7-Aug-2006 at 07:27.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Re: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

You should have been at the Large Format Conference for the VC Speed Dating night. there were some 30 cameras there with no salesmen to get in the way.

Though I have used an old Zone VI and have no plans to change, I have to say that The top of my wish list would be an Ebony, though as hard as I am on cameras, I would probably go with a Walker.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

jack, i'm prepared to take a flogging for this, but i'll weigh-in anyway. much of this is going to depend on what your value, that is to say, what criterion you look for in saying one camera is better than another. the ebony or canham traditional cameras are the most capable and fully-featured. having cut my teeth on metal cameras, i never found any wooden camera that i was comfortable with WRT stability. that's just me. obviously, wooden cameras are stable enough to make sharp pictures, i've just never been comfortable using them. personally, i feel that ebony cameras are simply the camera-de-jour and not worth the buy-in price. i would sooner buy a tachihara and extra lens! if i was forced to use a wooden camera, i'd use a canham traditional, but then again that shouldn't be much of a surprise, as it's really a metal camera in a pretty wooden box.

Wasn't that Phillips (that you did not sell to me last year!) 4x5 you had the best wooden field camera?

Wink Re: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

The one you own.

I've always been sort of happy with my rosewood Wista DX. It's probably not the best wooden field camera, but it's held up nicely for me. I like its light weight, especially as I get older. I wish it had beefier knobs, and I wish the focus were a bit smoother.

Kirk: Sounds like nirvana LOLOL!

Scott: No heat here -- I understand exactly what you are saying. I have an Arca and want a back-up fun to use camera. I really like the look and feel of wood, so want a wooden field camera just for the fun/nostalgia of using one.

Frank: The Phillips is exceptionally rigid, light and very functional, but is somewhat spartan in its movements and while it is technically wood, the panels are laminate and it wasn't very nostalgic to use
    Cheers,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 7-Aug-2006 at 08:18.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I have owned a few: Wista 4x5", Wisner 5x7", and Ebony SV45U. I did not like the Wisner much as I had a few problems with the back falling off and the bellows extended would jump the rails (no stops I think). I still have the Ebony and find it to be better as far as stability and movements goes, but I love my Arca even more.

There can't be a consensus because individual requirements vary. To one person, lightness is paramount, while another wants a long extension and a large, sturdy, lensboard. A third is most intersted in the ease of use of very wide angle lenses.

Canham. Sturdy, fairly light, large bellows draw, 5x7 back, 4x10 conversion.