Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan
    The one you own.
    The one I own isn't wood, but carbon fiber. But I still think it's the best! I was out shooting yesterday, and had neglected to bring the bag bellows along. No problem as it turned out - the 65mm lens focussed quite nicely, and doesn't have enough coverage for serious movements anyway.

And the next shot was with a 355mm G-Claron, with so much movements that I was approaching the edge of that 45cm image circle.

Okay, we're now down to the Ebony, Canham and Carbon-Infinity as the main conteders -- due to rareity of the Carbon, I would say that leaves me looking at an Ebony or Canham.

I actually use small amounts of rear shift in the field fairly often (admittedly, I'm a tweaker -- and obviously lazy -- when it comes to composition). Canham fills that requirement and current Ebony choices seem to be 45 SVU2 or 45 Te (If I get an Ebony, I want ebony wood). I am leaning toward the Te since it is a touch smaller, a touch lighter and a lot less expensive than the U2.

Anybody have an Ebony or Canham camera they want to sell?

Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I have both for sale.... but I'm the dealer for Canada. You can email me if you're interested in either the Ebony's or Canham's new. I would be happy to chat with you.
    You can also see them on the website.
    -Rob Skeoch
    skeoch@sympatico.ca
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

I would try to test drive the Canham and Ebony out before purchase. The photographer I sold my Wisner to had sold her Canham for it. She said she did not like the knobs on the Canham. Whether it was the shape, feel, or how they operated I do not know; just that she made the comment to me. The Wisner knobs were along the lines of the Ebony (circular), but brass instead of titanium.

Anybody know of a Shen-Hao distributor in Canada? (toronto to be exact). I want to retire my military speed graphic before it gets mangled any more. I also want more movements.

Without a doubt anything made by Ebony!! There are many fine cameras out there to choose from but if you spend the time researching them all you will eventually realise that at this present time Ebony is baout the best wooden camera manufcaturer out there! I have owned the SW45 and currently use the 45SU and the RSW. I have also been fortunate enough to use the SV45 and the RW45E and all share the same high quality craftsmanship and attention to detail as well as being very enjoyable to use.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snuck
    Anybody know of a Shen-Hao distributor in Canada? (toronto to be exact). I want to retire my military speed graphic before it gets mangled any more. I also want more movements.
    I don't know of a dealer in Canada, the people that I know who have bought the cameras imported them on their own. It's a hard company to be a dealer for, mostly because they sell direct, so there's no incentive to become a dealer and have capital tied up in stock.

The couple people that I know who bought the cameras resold them about a year later. I don't think it was a problem with the camera, just not what they were looking for.

-Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Skeoch

The couple people that I know who bought the cameras resold them about a year later. I don't think it was a problem with the camera, just not what they were looking for.
    The ugly truth is that, regardless of material or make, I seem to break my equipment at the same rate, so I figure that I might as well save!

Cheers

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Talking Re: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

Jack:

It is the 4x5 Phillips that I DID buy from you (sorry Frank). Why you gave that one up I'll never understand, but I do appreciate it every day.

Regards,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Brewster
    Jack:

It is the 4x5 Phillips that I DID buy from you (sorry Frank). Why you gave that one up I'll never understand, but I do appreciate it every day.

Regards,

Don
    Hi Don:

Glad you are enjoying that camera! It is -- err was -- a sweetheart

One of the things about the Phillips that bothered me was the lack of rear shift. I know it isn't *necessary* in a field camera, but as I explained above I definitely prefer to have it available.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com