Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Dagor and Wide Angle Dagor Users Out There?

Re: Any Dagor and Wide Angle Dagor Users Out There?

All excellent points very well taken. I have no dilusions of garnering any lofty prices for any Dagor re-manufacture nor do I have an expectations of using the trademark name. If after this research and optical evaluation we arrive at something that we feel would work in the marketplace a lens offering would have to perform better, have an enormous amount of coverage, be smaller and or lighter and be affordable to people that want to make quality photographs without taking out a second mortgage.

My sincere thanks for taking the time to post.

More to follow.

Michael, not to suggest that you trample on Cooke Optics, but while you're in the thinking things over and designing phase, have your opticians investigate 4/4 double Gauss types as well as 6/2 Dagor types. I make the suggestion because the double Gauss types have offered what the ancients thought was more and better coverage than Dagors and may be less expensive/easier to manufacture.

I'm thinking of, e.g., Boyer Perle, Meyer WA Aristostigmat, not of 4/2 double anastigmats like the Berthiot Perigraphe, Rodenstock Perigon, although these last also offer more coverage than Dagors and are actually around in small numbers.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

wfwhitaker

Hmmm.... A 16" 'Wide-Field Ektar'??

Why not a remake of the Computar, a wide angle plasmat? Probably cheaper to manufacture than a Dagor, and with about the same sharp coverage in reality as the WA Dagor.

Steve

That 180mm f9 (?) Carl Zeiss Dagor design would be a winner with the 8x10 crowd I think. The few people I know who use one love it.

Reputedly very sharp, among other things
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Michael,

As Hugo suggested, I have a 240mm f/9 Carl Zeiss Dagor in shutter that I've used for several years. It just hits the corners on 14x17 at infinity. Plenty sharp to the corners for contact printing. One of my favorite lenses ever.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

A multi-coated WA Aristostigmat (or WA Polyplast) would be a nice lens.

I've seen the difference between uncoated and (post)coated dialytes (two 135/4.5 Eurynars), and that's one case where coating really makes a big difference. With no cemented groups it should be far cheaper to make than a WA Dagor, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen
    A multi-coated WA Aristostigmat (or WA Polyplast) would be a nice lens.

I've seen the difference between uncoated and (post)coated dialytes (two 135/4.5 Eurynars), and that's one case where coating really makes a big difference. With no cemented groups it should be far cheaper to make than a WA Dagor, too!
    Ole, isn't the Aristostigmat a 4/4 double Gauss? Not that this fact has any bearing on your point that coating is good for 'em.

Cheers,

Dan

I once looked into maiking a 12" WA Dagor based on the Goerz design. I couldn't get the costs below $4K so figured no-one would buy it. Making a lens is a pricey biz indeed!

CP goerz

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Ole, isn't the Aristostigmat a 4/4 double Gauss? Not that this fact has any bearing on your point that coating is good for 'em.
    No, it isn't: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyerb/p6.html