Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dating a Ries tripod

Re: Dating a Ries tripod

Someone mentioned that you should be sure to get a ball head for a Ries tripod. I hope that was meant as a joke. If not, that person clearly doesn't shoot large format nor have they ever used a Ries head. I have used just about every type of head available and nothing comes close to the performance of a Ries double tilt head for large format photography. I have them on both of my Ries tripods. With large format, you always want to level the different planes separately. Suggesting a ball head for large format is downright silly and this is, after all, a large format forum. I have to suspect that the person who suggested that has only read books about large format photography but has never actually done it. A ball head?????!!!!!!

As for Gitzo's, I have owned them and just about every other type of tripod at one time or another. Gitzos are O.K. for small format photography but nothing touches a Ries for large format photography, in my opinion, and I have used them exclusively for years now. Nothing ever goes wrong with them. They are virtually 100% dependable and when things are locked down, they stay LOCKED down. Gitzos are toys compared to Ries tripods and I don't miss my Gitzos one at all. I have seen many shaky and wobbly Gitzos over the years but I have never seen a shaky or wobbly Ries. Gitzos are way over-priced for what you get and they are not nearly as solid for large format shooting as a Ries.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneIII View Post
    Someone mentioned that you should be sure to get a ball head for a Ries tripod. I hope that was meant as a joke.
    It was in fact a joke. Note the winking smiley face immediatley after the statement.

As for Gitzo's, I have owned them and just about every other type of tripod at one time or another. Gitzos are O.K. for small format photography but nothing touches a Ries for large format photography, in my opinion, and I have used them exclusively for years now. Nothing ever goes wrong with them. They are virtually 100% dependable and when things are locked down, they stay LOCKED down. Gitzos are toys compared to Ries tripods and I don't miss my Gitzos one at all. I have seen many shaky and wobbly Gitzos over the years but I have never seen a shaky or wobbly Ries. Gitzos are way over-priced for what you get and they are not nearly as solid for large format shooting as a Ries.
    I wouldn't say that Gitzos are toys versus a Ries. I have a Ries H100 which I purchased to use with my Linhof Technikardan 45S. I hardly use it. I do however use my Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods for most of my work. You have to know how to use the Carbon Fiber Tripods with some care as well as working with Ball heads at least up to 4 X 5. Below is a photo that I took in Rocky Mountain National Park with my Linhof Technikardan 45S and a Nikon 500mm T ED lens on the original 3 1/2 lb Gitzo 1228 Carbon Fiber Tripod with an Arca B1 Ball. The photo was taken on Fujichrome Provia 100 at f32 at 1/8 sec between gusts of wind in 1996. It was fairly windy and I needed to time when I took the exposure. I needed f32 even with rear tilts to maintain focus from about 1/4 mile to the moon. Exposure any longer than 1/8 of the second and the moon would have moved on the film. The image is so sharp that you can see the cones on the conifers from about 1/4 miles away in the 24" copy and as I recall even make out the needles on the conifers in the 50" copy. The 50" copy (digitally output) is almost as sharp as the 24" long copy. This image has been used at Photoplus by Bogen/Gitzo and is in the Corporate offices of Bogen in Ramsey, NJ. Bogen was amazed by the image.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Someone mentioned that you should be sure to get a ball head for a Ries tripod. I hope that was meant as a joke. If not, that person clearly doesn't shoot large format nor have they ever used a Ries head. I have used just about every type of head available and nothing comes close to the performance of a Ries double tilt head for large format photography. I have them on both of my Ries tripods. With large format, you always want to level the different planes separately. Suggesting a ball head for large format is downright silly and this is, after all, a large format forum. I have to suspect that the person who suggested that has only read books about large format photography but has never actually done it. A ball head?????!!!!!!

Like most things in photography, everything is a compromise and the right tools for one situation are the wrong tools for another situation.

The Ries tripod and head combination you discuss likely weighs in at at least 13 lbs. A Gitzo CF tripod and an Arca Swiss B1 ball head (a combo many successful working pros use) weigh in at about 6 lbs. Do you do long hikes with your Ries kit? I'll take your Ries kit if you are offering it to me but I don't think I will take it for a long walk.

Francis,
    I have owned several Ries over the years. I don't know of any way to tell the year of mfg of the ones made in Hollywood. The good thing is, you have a stronger, lighter tripod than the current ones.
    By the way, you should head to SD and see our new facilities at Grossmont.
    Jim

A quote from John Sexton's latest newsletter/email:

"I’ve owned a number of different tripods over the years, aluminum, wood, and more recently carbon fiber. Wood tripods are amazing in their ability to take abuse and keep on going. Wood tripods don’t meet my own personal needs because, even when closed, they are longer than I like to carry. Since 1994 I’ve been using the Gitzo carbon fiber tripods."

I do miss my Gitzo 300 studex with the #2 Gitzo ballhead -- it was perfect for my 4x5 and 5x7. But it ran off with some thief in the night. Broke my heart....

Now I have a Ries w/ their double tilt head for my 8x10, and we have gone on many long long walks together. I have learned to lean on it when traveling over boulder fields and the like...not many pods double as a mountain climbing tool! And when hiking thru the snow with it this past week in Yosemite, it was not like holding a cold fish in one's hand. And being 6'3", it is nice having a pod one can stand up straight to and look into the eyes.

Vaughn

Hey, this is an old post but im hoping someone could help me out.

I have the 6th ries tripod ever made, in pretty good shape for being for being 70 years old. i got it confirmed from ries.

just wondering how much i should sell it for? i havent got a clue what it could be worth and there is no info on the net.

Any help would be great thanks,

Sean

Guys, you are getting excited about a two legged beast with a long third leg...

Quote Originally Posted by butler239 View Post
    Hey, this is an old post but im hoping someone could help me out.

I have the 6th ries tripod ever made, in pretty good shape for being for being 70 years old. i got it confirmed from ries.

just wondering how much i should sell it for? i havent got a clue what it could be worth and there is no info on the net.

Any help would be great thanks,

Sean
    Why not use it? Deardorffs look fetching on a Ries!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White