Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Most pathetic EBay purchase

Re: Most pathetic EBay purchase

A broken Polaroid 8x10 processor right at the end of 'roid films.........the motor run capacitor is toast, and damned if I can find one. Oh yes, and the not crank handle version.

The one time I took a chance on low feedback, I got nailed. I won the bid on a Nikkor sheet film developing tank. Since that time, I usually don't bid on auctioners with less than 75 feedback, and they must all be positive.

Terence

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    Don't know about most pathetic (maybe it qualifies as that but I think it's kinda cool...) - but certainly the cheapest thing I've ever bought one bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260066627310
    Truly an eximious and wonderful purchase. I can't tell from here, but do you feel eleganced and exalted yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    Truly an eximious and wonderful purchase. I can't tell from here, but do you feel eleganced and exalted yet?

Senior for sure

This one's for John Kasaian... $500 for a Chu Berry vintage sax in good condition ,but needing an overhaul - finding out after I closed the bid that I had bought an alto (said so in the listing). Had convinced myself I'd been bidding on a tenor.

Terence

"Rochester Portrait Lens in original case"

Turned out it was a diopter-like single element made to fit over the end of a some small and very specific Rochester lens. Including shipping it was only $18, so not much of a loss compared to some others, but it sticks in my craw more than any others. Stupid [smack forehead] stupid [smack forehead] stupid [smack forehead]

Poloniumania

Hi, Cyrus,

Yeah, most of us didn't know about the 183-day half life of Polonium 210 until the recent "poloniumania" (term coined by my wife Carla as an entry in a contest for the best new term of 2006!).

Best regards,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    Don't know about most pathetic (maybe it qualifies as that but I think it's kinda cool...) - but certainly the cheapest thing I've ever bought one bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260066627310
    Yeah, the shipping is a bit pricey, though...

My most pathetic purchase on the bay was an 18cm B&L Protar that often requires two sets of pliers to set the aperture for roughly $200. Oh, and the rear element has a scratch. "In shutter, though" you say..... Nope.

--A

An arcade control spinner, but the guy forgot to mention that it was just the counter-weight. I spent $20 for a 45oz piece of lead.

Hello! I just received my Gundlach antique camera. I thought it was an 8x10 for some reason, but it is 5x7. I think I got the auction confused with another one when I bid! (Now that is really pathetic!) The auctions described it as in "amazing" condition, and it sure is! probably worth about 1/4 what I paid for it. Oh well. Live and learn. Best regards.

Mike