Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: This is crazy already ('old' lens prices)

Re: This is crazy already ('old' lens prices)

Sorry - there's a lot of ignorance at play here:

Due to the fact that you can use third party "sniping" software, the price shown before the end of the auction is completely meaningless and doesn't begin to reflect people's intentions. The winning bids in a very high percentage of auctions are placed within the last few seconds - that's old news. Secondly, the winning bid is actually a very good price for this lens - it's an 8x10 lens with few equals (the Schneider 150mmXL is really the only competition in 150mm lenses for 8x10 with great coverage) and this is a very desirable option. I haven't seen one change hands for under $1000...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B
    Folks:
    The bidding on a Nikon 150 mm, f8 lens that just ended on ebay was nuts. In one case the increase was almost $450 between bids. The sniping at the end drove the price up >$300 in the last few seconds. It seems to me that >$1000 for that lens was a lot given that you can buy the faster one (f5.6) brand new from B&H for half the price. The difference is that image circle for the f8 is larger. I hope the person who bought it wasn't planning on using it just for 4x5. If so, they made an expensive mistake.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

Mr. Hutton:
    Ignorance on my part, nastiness on yours. Given a check of your previous posts, that appears to be your stand operating procedure in this forum.
    Have a nice day,
    Dave B.

So sorry Dave B., but really, a little thought before you typed and the same effort investigating my forum decorum applied to researching the lens in question and you wouldn't have bothered to make this post. Anyway, my apologies for offending...

Mr. Hutton:
    Accepted.
    Dave B.

Im interested to see what the 'Collection of old brass lenses' is going to bring. I would guess well over $700.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H
    There happens to be one lens on there now. Its a Wollie Soft focus, $10 starting bid. In the auction, the buyer states that you 'must email me' prior to placing a bid. I did so, and I received an email stating that if I were "ready to purchase, the buy-it-now price is $1400". I wasn't ready, so I bid $20. about 4 hours before the auction closed, the seller ended the auction early - no reason given.
    It is back up for auction again today. This time, I lodged a complaint; we'll see what happens.
    Auctions with statements to email for a buy it now price before bidding are usually fraudulent. Often the perpetrator is using a stolen ID and often the location of the item doesn't match the location of the person whose ID has been stolen. More than once I've seen Fuji GX617 cameras and lenses offered for $1500.00 or so on a buy it now, or about 1/3 of the market price. Everytime I see such an auction with a buy it now offer outside of ebay I report it as fraudulent.

There's a Pinkham & Smith Visual Bi-Quality here if this link works..... http://cgi.ebay.com/Pinkham-Bi-Quali...QQcmdZViewItem
    .........this is first time I've ever seen a P&S on e-bay, there are no bids and they want 9 hundred and change, with about 5 days to go, there are some folks here looking for this kind of lens, the price is steep, but I've seen Arsenal trying to sell a Nicola Pershied for $5,000.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Wink Re: This is crazy already ('old' lens prices)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris
    OTOH remember too that bargains are still plentiful on eBay if you have a sharp eye. My latest example: I just won 8 boxes of 13x18 EPR, expired late 2001 but frozen, for the total price of ~ $50 including shipping from Spain to the US. I was the only bidder, it was a real surprise as the auction ended somethinglike 4 in the morning EDT and I left a snipe before I went to bed. Fresh price for the film is around $50 a box.
    Hi Ted,
    I was in Barcelona at the auction time and I trayed to bid on the film boxes but unfortunately I didn't find a computer for to bid. 15 minutes later, I visited the shop of the seller(the real name is Casanova Foto)and I buyed a mint 420mm. Universal Heliar for USD 230.- It's incredible!!!!....We are in a little world....We are in the same town....Kind regards.

anachromatique.