Thread: What is it about double run 8mm?

What is it about double run 8mm?

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Lounge, so I'll respectfully leave it up to the moderator to move this thread if I'm in error. This deals with a piece of film 8mmx75 ft.

Many family histories were in part captured on film, both still and movie and pretty much all of it on b&w Seeing ancestors I've never met on two dimensions of sepia toned photo paper is a luxury relatively few people over the course of history have experienced. Without George Eastman making photography affordable, I know my own immigrant ancestors wouldn't have been able to leave me the huge collection of family photos I now get to enjoy---only one tiny tin type of a lady whose identity is lost to history and one half plate palladium portrat of a bearded mountain fighter proudly holding his 11mm mauser rifle with a nagant revolver tucked into his belt standing next to his son are the two images in the collection that weren't courtesy of George Eastman's processes.

Then there is movie film, and the reason for this post. You see, I have the projector and the screen but somewhere along the line the films were copied onto vhs by a well meaning relative and the original films were lost, probably destroyed---I don't know for certain. VHS is on its way out of course and the video tapes will probably be tranferred to dvd I'm hoping(I don't have a copy so its out of my hands) but in my classes I show a VHS copy of Fritz Lang's "Destiny" which is probably the penultimate in silent films whose plots move at the speed of glaciers accompanied by a seemingly immortal clarinet solo. Its a good copy of the original, but something is missing---the same thing thats missing from the VHS copies of my family's double run 8mm home movies: the audible and ofactory sensations that make up part of the visual experience like the clucking of the projector and the smell of the blistering hot bulb. The coolness(or stuffy air) in a darkened room as we gaze upon a four or five foot square flickering image on a screen or white wall---like looking through a large keyhole into the past. The specters we witness doing everyday things like graduating, marrying, bringing home babies and going on trips. We are treated to all sorts of things that members of our own family were justly proud of: an addition to the house, a bountiful garden lush with cucumbers, tomatoes, and hydrangias. A lady's lap dog, a gent's hunting dog, a farmer's plough horse. A brand spankin' new 1926 Buick and a new piano. The elderly figure of the lady who gave birth to the lady who gave birth to one's mother or father. Relatives who travelled long distances to visit (IIRC the entire population 'back East' must have visited my grandpa who lived 'out West' in California at one tme or another) Anyway, these images weren't on flat pieces of photo paper, they aren't on paper at all but up there on a screen or blank wall---moving! Light dancing! Ancestors dancing, drinking, walking down the steps to the porch, smoking cigars and holding chickens and piglets. Lips move, but no words are heard---only the clucking of the projector and the smell of the scorching hot projector lamp. Turn on the room light and the people on the wall disappear. Turn the lights off and they return. Like ghosts from the past. Eerie. Surreal. Way cooler than VHS and DVD ever could be. All of it lost ---to my family anyway---and much of it lost to recent generations too.

(If you want to know where I'm 'coming from' its stinkn' hot tonight. Too hot to sleep even! If the eight year old didn't have a temperature (and I didn't have to go to work tomorrow) I'd pack the whole family up in the car and drive to the coast for a little relief!)

Anyway, here is an experience that I'll bet is being lost to future generations. What do you think? Are you fortunate enough to have your family's movie archives and do you ever fire up the projector and enjoy them? Do you treasure them?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: What is it about double run 8mm?

No movies here, but I have dozens of snapshot prints and a few enlargements, some dating to the late 1800s. I do, indeed, consider them a treasure, as they provide insight into the real character of family members I only knew fleetingly as a child.

wfwhitaker

I've been a sentimentalist from the start and always enjoyed our home movies even when I was young enough that they were still being made. Now those images are all of the distant past, but they remain a family document. While I have no movies taken earlier than my own childhood, there are still images of people, pets, places and events which exist nowhere else except in memory.

A few years ago I transferred 24 200-ft reels of 8mm film to VHS using a rear projection box and the center filter from a 47mm Super Angulon (note large format content) to help even out the hotspot. Since the videocamera I used had no way to turn off the mic and I didn't have a dummy plug on hand, the soundtrack is the sound of the projector running in the room. I guess all I need to watch the old flicks is some hot-lamp aromatherapy!
    Last edited by wfwhitaker; 18-Jul-2006 at 07:52.

8/8? Howsabout S8? I filmed a number of my field trips on S8, am very happy that I did.

Made zillions of super8mm frames of trips, new daughter, family back in the early-early seventies with a Bolex. Thought I was quite the cinematographer. Edited/spliced the heck out of reel after reel, ending up with some pretty good, fairly unboring stuff.

Time passes...mostly in attics throughout the U.S.

The 80million splices have all failed in 30 hot-hot years of inexcusable carelessness. Tried to DVD the stuff several years ago but had to give up - my brother said "Yeah your my brother and this is family but no way I help you do 80million resplices."

The Bolex super 8mm projector works fine and I've still got the splicing reel....so thanks alot John for making me feel REALLY guilty - for yes, I am MORALLY bound to pass-on the sensation of alive-and-in-blurry-but-beautiful-living-color projected movies to my grandchildren.

And there's the heavy box of tiny 8mm reels (+projector) my wife's dad made back in the 50's. God! Really boring stuff but totally unedited and thus even MORE campy and historical! Do I want to go there? Will future generations ever know I shirked my duty by not resurrecting these celluloid monsters from the bowels of a hot attic?? Shouldn'tf I record what's in front of me now, with the 8x10???

Think I'll save this stuff for when I'm unable to leave the house but still able to use scissors and apply glue, should I live so long>> ;•/

There's a real revival going on in Super-8 and that's spilling over into some of the other small cine formats. I've been experimenting with it myself. In part it's driven by the increased ease of film to digital transfer for editing, but the new interest is beneficial for those who prefer to edit and project the old fashioned way.

Check out these forums that have lots of useful info about shooting small gauge cine (8mm, DS8, Super-8, Max8, Super-Duper-8, 9.5mm, 16mm, Super-16, etc.)--

www.filmshooting.com

www.cinematography.com

This one is more focused on projection--

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...ultimatebb.cgi