Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blind Luck

Blind Luck

I knew better than to go out shooting with a new film without testing it myself. But a box of Efke 100 had just arrived by Fed Ex, and I found out I was going on a trip to Missouri with virtually no notice. All of my film holders were empty, so I loaded up the Efke the night before the trip and read as many posts about the film as I could. There seemed to be a general consensus that the film gave good results at EI50 when developed in PMK. So that's what I did. Unfortunately I didn't read about reciprocity because I rarely photograph in conditions that cause it to raise its ugly head. So there I was, in an old farmers metal shed gazing at this beautiful car. The battery had been stolen so he couldn't move it out into the light. To get f45, the exposure meter was reading 4 seconds. Didn't have a clue what to really give it, so I used my grandfathers "seat of the pants" method. I guessed. f45 at 30 seconds. This is what I got.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Blind Luck

So it's true... Grandpa knows best! Who needs film testing; just shoot and be happy.

Great shot with really nice tonality. I really love the car and the environment. You might have not done as well is the car had been moved to a sunny location.

I don't want to pick nits, but did you get the impression that the hood ornament was original? It seems a bit big and fancy for a T. But, this seems like a "limo T" so maybe it is appropriate.

p.s. Do you have any idea what the difference is between 'bind luck' and 'dumb luck'?

Doubt of the hood ornament is original. But he seemed to get upset when I suggested that he remove it for the shot. But you got my curiosity; what IS the difference between blind luck and dumb luck? Was I blind or just plain dumb?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Can you tell me what make and model that car is? I ask bcause I have on original old photo of one with two gentlemen in it. Lots of mud on it from their journey. I find it a unique looking car, with the doors in the center. Thanks!
    Edit: I believe you are right about the ornament (radiator cap). The car in my photo has a plain cap. Your photo is perfect!
    Last edited by Glenn Thoreson; 15-Jul-2006 at 11:31.

Don't know. He called it a "high hat". But he also called his cows "the flock".
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Center door sedans are rare versions. The ornament looks like a Moto-Meter with the wings.They were a popular aftemarket add-on at the time---theres a little thermometer in a glass disk above the wings thats visible from the driver's seat ---its supposed to warn you before you boil over.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Don't know if this will help at all. I cropped this from the original scan.
    Last edited by Michael Graves; 15-Jul-2006 at 12:11.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Some really cool detail in your follow-up crop. Looks like that thermometer thingee is inside the glass disk like John mentioned. With that kind of detail, is it worth "cropping" the sign in the back window so everyone can read it? Does it have more information about the car's history?

Here is the sign. It's nothing useful, except to show the kind of sense of humor that a fourth or fifth generation Ozarks farmer can have. He was quite the gentleman; but if I was rich enough to buy the car, the sign would be out of there in six seconds or less.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Hi Michael,

Nice image...

Any ideas as to what he's going to do with the car? It's a shame to be hiding such a nice vehicle in an old metal barn!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!