Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: The Focus Magazine thread

Re: Focus Magazine scam ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    yeah, mr gray, the problem isnt me and isnt about someone else solving poor business practices with business advice, he should have gotten that before he started his business... thats again a YOU problem.

the solution is return everyone's money and when he is back on his feet, try again... good faith keeps customers happy. too late for business advice when your customers are contemplating mail fraud, federal communications violations, and assorted other charges once an investigation begins as the customers report him to the attorney general and file court papers. thats the consequences of bad business over the internet. consequences for your actions is something people forget and are quick to play the blame game.

so why should i be blamed as part of the problem?... or participate in his solution?

the solution and the best advice is make good to the customers!

post his phone number so his customers here can get in touch?
    Paul, if you give me the time, date, and amount of money you paid to Focus and what you were promised in return, I'll make sure you get your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamGray View Post
    Paul, if you give me the time, date, and amount of money you paid to Focus and what you were promised in return, I'll make sure you get your money back.
    Wow, you have the ability to do that? Does that go for others as well?

Quote Originally Posted by michael_los_angeles_photo View Post
    Wow, you have the ability to do that? Does that go for others as well?
    I have his ear. I know some of the other people involved in this project and that if they found out Mr. Spivak was refusing to add them to this issue, they would back out. I want to add that this project is a project of love for Mr. Spivak and he's not making any money from it. The cost to print 30,000 copies is close to $100,000.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Nick dropped off years ago. Another broken promise by someone who promised to contribute.
    Then Mr. Spivak should stop using his name as a partner, as "years" is enough time to update the website.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I have his ear. I know some of the other people involved in this project and that if they found out Mr. Spivak was refusing to add them to this issue, they would back out. I want to add that this project is a project of love for Mr. Spivak and he's not making any money from it. The cost to print 30,000 copies is close to $100,000.
    Please see your inbox. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    i know its not my situation but....

in business that's called a YOU problem. if this person had the time to explain his situation with you, he certainly can make the time to contact his ignored customers! where are his associates to step up to the plate? its a one man show?

this is the age of comunications at the speed of light... not snail mail pen on paper. yes its cruel, but how do you think his investors feel about their hard earned money sitting in someone elses pocket, incommunicado, when that money could be put to better use?

besides, how is anyone to believe a 1 poster joined today coming out of the woodwork to speak in someone elses affairs? how ironic you came to the rescue. im sure the op will be more sympathetic, but as a former businessman, im not.

a go fund me add is next?
    business is business, nothing personal.

It's important to consider that this magazine publisher, like other publishers in the industry, is part of a small community of fine art photography. Some photographers are criticizing him for attempting to revive the magazine, labeling it a "scam." However, it's worth noting that there are fresh new articles on the magazine's website, www.focusphotomag.com, and he is active on social media.

It's important to avoid jumping to conclusions or taking negative tones without considering the facts. The magazine publisher is working to bring back a well-regarded photography magazine, and while his first approach didn't work out, he's now attempting a new, less ambitious plan. Many print magazines have ceased publication in the past, and it's commendable that he is trying to print a real magazine.

It's worth remembering that running a magazine or book publishing business is challenging, and there may be setbacks and delays. Criticizing without offering constructive feedback or support can be counterproductive and discourage the publisher's efforts. It's important to consider the difficulties of printing, especially given the current global situation with COVID-19 and paper shortages. Rather than making unfounded accusations, it's essential to offer feedback and support in a positive, constructive manner.

If any of you want to help him, his email address is david@focusphotomag.com. Don't bother to email him if you just want to call him a scam. Who in their right mind goes to China to grass roots funded photography magazine that is completely dedicated to alternative process photography in 2023? And the articles are damn good. If I were any of you, I would call him and buy a subscription or advertise in his magazine, or as you suggested, set up a gofundme to support Focus. It's no wonder he doesn't interact with photographers online, some of you are real assholes.

William, no need for name calling. Running a business is hard. I do it myself.

I would like to support a new print effort but the considerations of customer service must be a priority for any business endeavor. Communication is a hard problem to solve even in 2023.

Failure can be quite a learning experience. How you fail can define your character.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Re: The Focus Magazine thread

No need to go online. He just needs to send out status emails about the project to people who have paid him. Most people will be OK with waiting once they know the problems and the plans to solve them.

Hi William. I am one of the advertisers in Focus issues 19 and 20. I am beyond tired of waiting for these to be published, waiting for a reply from the publisher about the status of the magazine and I would like my money back. I understand that you “ have his ear” and can make this happen for me. I signed the ad agreement and paid him $1500 on March 24,2022. I can be contacted at dbgrayphoto@gmail.com. Many thanks in advance for any assistance you could offer. Cheers, David
    Last edited by Photodude1550; 1-Mar-2023 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Photodude1550 View Post
    Hi William. I am one of the advertisers in Focus issues 19 and 20. I am beyond tired of waiting for these to be published, waiting for a reply from the publisher about the status of the magazine and I would like my money back. I understand that you “ have his ear” and can make this happen for me. I signed the ad agreement and paid him $1500 on March 24,2023. I can be contacted at dbgrayphoto@gmail.com. Many thanks in advance for any assistance you could offer. Cheers, David
    Hmm. March 2023 hasn't arrived yet. Is a time machine or a typo involved?