Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogen 3039 Super Pro Head

Bogen 3039 Super Pro Head

I'm trying to put together a nice, heavy-weight (not light-weight) tripod system that can support up to 8x10 cameras. Initially, I'll be using 4x5, and eventually I'll probably end up using bigger cameras in the future (it's just inevitable ).

I'm getting some Gitzo G-1500 Tele Studex Mk2 performance tripod legs that can support 33 pounds, although, in the B&H description, it says it can support 42 pounds, but, whatever. Now for the head...

The ultimate head would be the Really Right Stuff ballhead (BH-55), but I just can't purchase that right now, and who knows, I might not even need it, or perhaps ballheads aren't very attractive to me at the moment. It's not that I'm cheap, but $400+ for a tripod head is a bit too much, considering all the lighting gear and other stuff I need to buy right now.

The Bogen 3039 looks pretty nice, and I'd like to hear any user comments on this head.

I've heard complaints on the quick release plates, but there IS a 4x4 inch plate that is available for this head that might help with these complaints. If I get this head, I will be getting the 4x4 inch plate to go along with it. Another thing I like is that Bogen makes an elbow bracket for this head that allows you to easily go vertical with 35mm cameras (for my DSLR), without needing to buy a more expensive L-Bracket, which would also require a head with an Arca type release system.

Okay guys, help me choose a head to go along with my Gitzo legs!

Thanks,
    - Robert

Re: Bogen 3039 Super Pro Head

Bogen/Manfrotto makes two heads that are way cooler than the 3039. They are geared on all three axes, meaning that you can micro-crank any of the axes instead of losening the arm, moving the axis manually, and retightening. I don't know the model numbers but a search for Manfrotto geared heads will turn them up.

The Bogen geared head that supports 22 pounds costs over 600 bucks (and looks very, very nice, btw) while the 3039 that claims to support more weight costs only 180. The other two geared heads support less weight. The 410 is a nice, cheap geared head, but I'm not sure if it's up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne
    I'm trying to put together a nice, heavy-weight (not light-weight) tripod system that can support up to 8x10 cameras. Initially, I'll be using 4x5, and eventually I'll probably end up using bigger cameras in the future (it's just inevitable ).

I'm getting some Gitzo G-1500 Tele Studex Mk2 performance tripod legs that can support 33 pounds, although, in the B&H description, it says it can support 42 pounds, but, whatever. Now for the head...

The ultimate head would be the Really Right Stuff ballhead (BH-55), but I just can't purchase that right now, and who knows, I might not even need it, or perhaps ballheads aren't very attractive to me at the moment. It's not that I'm cheap, but $400+ for a tripod head is a bit too much, considering all the lighting gear and other stuff I need to buy right now.

- Robert

Robert,

IMHO, skimping on a tripod isn't the best way to go... especially since you're anticipating on going (eventually) to a larger format such as 8x10. Why buy twice when you can make the right decision and buy a suitable tripod now. To me, not to be sounding offensive, but that's penny wise, pound foolish!

There are some shooters out there who love using a ball head with their LF cameras but I, personally, don't recommend it. I had one of the heavy Manfrotto units and got rid of it in a hurry after using it for a relatively short time.

I think Chris J. is referring to either the 410 or the 405. The difference in the two heads lies in the amount of weight they'll support. I replaced the ball head with the 405 for my 8x10 and a 410 for the 5x7/4x5. They both work fabulously and the individual gearing makes subtle adjustments very efficient.

BTW, for the legs, you may want to look at the Manfrotto 475. It's certainly NOT the lightest tripod in the world but it's very stable.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I didn't mean to sound like I was skimping on my tripod setup. I just figured that the Bogen 3039, which supports a good 26 pounds, is cheap because it's just a 3-way pan head, instead of a ballhead, which tends to cost more - and I agree with you on not using a ballhead with LF.

The Bogen geared heads are cool because they are geared, but don't seem to be as tough as the 3039, but I may be wrong. I feel like if I purchase the geared 405 head, I WILL be skimping on my setup, which is not something I want to do. I'm not sure how a geared head designed for 35mm and medium format is any better than the 3039 pan head designed for larger and heavier formats. Which 8x10 are you successfully using with this head? I'd like to hear more about it from you and others.

Also, the Manfrotto 475 looks like a beast of a tripod, but it doesn't exactly do low angle shots, and center columns seem wobbly most of the time (on other tripods I've used).
    Last edited by Robert Payne; 12-Jul-2006 at 01:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne
    The Bogen geared heads are cool because they are geared, but don't seem to be as tough as the 3039, but I may be wrong. I feel like if I purchase the geared 405 head, I WILL be skimping on my setup, which is not something I want to do. I'm not sure how a geared head designed for 35mm and medium format is any better than the 3039 pan head designed for larger and heavier formats. Which 8x10 are you successfully using with this head? I'd like to hear more about it from you and others.

Also, the Manfrotto 475 looks like a beast of a tripod, but it doesn't exactly do low angle shots, and center columns seem wobbly most of the time (on other tripods I've used).
    Hi Rob,

No offense intended with my note.

I think you'd be surprised with just how sturdy and tough the little 405 heads really are. I also think their weight ratings are fairly conservative. But, YMMV.

I use the 405 with a Dorff 8x10 and haven't had any issues with it. It's mounted onto the 475 legs.

You're right... The 475 is far from being a light tripod but it is pretty stable. As far as low angle shots, this isn't something I do a lot of so it hasn't been a big deal for me.

If you possibly can... take a peek at them before deciding.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I have a 3039 head and no longer try to use it with my 8x10 (Orbit Black Beast). I like the three-way adjustment and far prefer that to a ball head for a heavy camera. But the Bogen quick release is a big problem - I've repeatedly had cameras fall off the tripod, and so have others I know who've tried to use a 3039.

I've used both the small plate and the large 4x4 inch one, and both can fool you into thinking they are locked down, but in fact, they have actually jammed part way and aren't locked at all. The tightening knob is fully tight, and in trying to twist the camera around, it seems to be locked down, but after working a while, the jam loosens up and the camera can fall off the head.

Second problem is that with a heavy camera, the quick release plate can't really be tightened to the camera sufficiently. Even the large 4" one with set screws will work loose and the camera will twist around at an inopportune time.

I got an old Majestic head for my 8x10 and have no problems. I use the 3039 with my medium format RB67, and even with that lighter camera, I have to watch carefully to be sure the quick release actually locks down, and I have to retighten the quick release plate several times during a shoot.

I just don't think the Bogen quick release works with heavy cameras. I have not used the Arca-Swiss design with a view camera, but I have used a similar design with heavy TV cameras. That system seems to be much better, but maybe someone who has actually used one can comment.
    juan
    Last edited by j.e.simmons; 12-Jul-2006 at 06:03.

This discussion comes rather timely I must say, since we too happen to be on the lookout for a good tripod head for an 8x10 beast, and the Bogen 3039 came up as a possible contender. Not so sure now anymore, though, the issues described by Juan seems very real.

But what about a Gitzo 1570M, anyone ever used these? Or a head made by QuickSet? Intended use is for a large and not so light monorail. I don't think we'll be using quick release plates of any kind, we have some of Linhof and Kaiser for smaller formats but these tend to go wobbly with bigger cameras, even a 4x5".

We've tried a ball head but must agree with what seems to be the general opinion that leveling a large camera is no fun with a ball head, no matter how sturdy.

Comments appreciated!
    Norm

I use the Bogen 410 geared head for 4x5. It's a great head but I wouldn't recommend it for an 8x10 or larger camera. For 8x10 I used the 4 inch plate that you mention with the Bogen 3057 head. That combination is about as sturdy as it gets and if you can live with the weight that's a good, relatively economical, combination for 8x10 or larger, it's overkill for 4x5. You seem to have dissuaded yourself from a ball head which I think is a good thing. It would IMHO be almost impossible to make very fine adjustments with a ball head and an 8x10 camera, I've used my Arca Swiss B1 with my Linhof 4x5 in a couple pinches and even that was a stretch.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    I use the Bogen 410 geared head for 4x5. It's a great head but I wouldn't recommend it for an 8x10 or larger camera. For 8x10 I used the 4 inch plate that you mention with the Bogen 3057 head. That combination is about as sturdy as it gets and if you can live with the weight that's a good, relatively economical, combination for 8x10 or larger, it's overkill for 4x5. You seem to have dissuaded yourself from a ball head which I think is a good thing. It would IMHO be almost impossible to make very fine adjustments with a ball head and an 8x10 camera, I've used my Arca Swiss B1 with my Linhof 4x5 in a couple pinches and even that was a stretch.
    Hi Brian,

Is the 3057 head you've mentioned the same as the Manfrotto 400 head?

If it is... it's a great head as well. However, it's not the lightest head in the world but sure is a beautiful thing to use. I have a Sinar X mounted on it (on a studio stand) and working with it is simplicity itself.

That's the other way of going but, again, it's a fairly big and heavy head...

And, you're quite right... the 410 is a bit light for 8x10.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!