Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a low budget view camera

Re: a low budget view camera

Glad someone has displaced me as lowest bottom feeder. Now take a look at some of the 5" aerial rollfilm that shows up on Ebay from time to time so you can get into the world of 17¢ Panatomic X negs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli
    Glad someone has displaced me as lowest bottom feeder. Now take a look at some of the 5" aerial rollfilm that shows up on Ebay from time to time so you can get into the world of 17¢ Panatomic X negs.
    Jim -- I'm glad to be of some use here. Now, tell me more about this 5" rollfilm. It can be cut up into 4" or 7" lengths? Is it a thinner film stock? Will it work in cut film holders? Enquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Coale
    Jim -- I'm glad to be of some use here. Now, tell me more about this 5" rollfilm. It can be cut up into 4" or 7" lengths? Is it a thinner film stock? Will it work in cut film holders? Enquiring minds want to know.
    Yep, but 4" cuts into 4X5 holders are a PITA. 7" cuts into 5X7 holders is easy. The film is 4 mil polyester base so thinner than normal by 3 mils I think. It curls into the emulsion so that works for you. The curl holds the film flat at the back of the holder perfectly. I have used aerial plus X and Pan X. The pan x is hard to control because it's super contrasty, but when you get a good situation, lookout! It's gorgeous. Most of my most successful Platinum prints are from these negs. The grain is like Tech Pan which I've heard was developed from this stock. I shoot it at ASA 32. You have to find a good sharp contrasty line to focus with a grain focuser because there simply is NO grain. I have enough in the freezer to last me until 2050 when I'm 98. That should do it.

budget lenses for a budget view camera

I just finished adding to my assortment of budget lenses (see the picture for all of them) with a 90mm Series IIIA EX.W.A. f/12.5 Wollensak. I had read a claim that it covered 5x7 and, with a quick check, it seems to do just that. Exposures will tell the tale but it looks close enough. I do need a BlackJacket focusing cloth with all my dim lenses. The most expensive lens was $94. The least expensive was $0. The average price was just under $45. All are in great shape except for the Kodak which will need a CLA to loosen up the aperture (the glass is good). Currently only the Elgeet and Schneider are mounted so it's time to start cranking out lensboards and adapters for my Packard shutter.

Isn't that Schneider an enlarger lens? Also, are you planning on shooting any colour films with any of these?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

The ones without shutters are all process lenses. I plan on shooting color and black and white. The process lenses should do just fine with color. The Schneider was pulled out of an Agfa Repromaster used in a graphics department in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat
    Isn't that Schneider an enlarger lens? Also, are you planning on shooting any colour films with any of these?
    Several of those lenses (including the Schneider G-Claron) are repro lenses. Most of them (also including the G-Claron) have a long tradition of use as taking lenses, the G-Claron was even sold as such by Schneider.

There should be no problem shooting colour film with these lenses.

Thanks. Nice set-up.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Jim Ewins

Congrats Gordon. I love my B&J monorails (4x5 & 8x10) The wood under the gray paint is nice and varnish will do it wonders. I found that I could machine new pins and epoxy them in the backs after realigning the spring clips- works great. The standards are rigid with all the movements I need. The price I paid for these was cheap and acceptable to buyer and seller. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Coale
    It came with a 10" Elgeet in an Alphax shutter
    ...and it looks just like my 10" Elgeet. I asked a couple of questions about that lens here some time back, and it sounded like I might have had the only one they'd ever made.