Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK-April or September?

UK-April or September?

Thanks to a merger at work I'll actually be getting a few more vacation days next year in 2007 (yes, it is fairly unheard of but who am I to refuse). Anway my wife and I are looking that as a good reason to cash in some airline miles and fly someplace for two weeks next summer.

Looking at the UK. Probably pick two areas and concentrate around them for several days each. Tops on the list is the northwest coast of Scotland-the western Highlands, maybe Isle of Skye. More open for the other area, but thought about the Lake District, Wales, or SW England (Stonehenge and Cornwall area).

I have read through many posts here and have seen many an issues of the various UK mags like Outdoor Photography, Photography Monthly, and Practical Photography that have given me some great ideas on basic locations.

We would be looking for quieter places to stay. Places with easy access for a good hike. I would also like to be able to get out early and late for some landscapes. Figure morning photography, hikes, see historical places, evening photography. Here is the states we normally frequent National Parks, but I do not think you will encounter anything with the lodges, hiking, etc of the US park system.

Ideally we would also like to avoid the worst of the tourists and midges. So we are looking at late April or mid-late September. As long as we do not have clear bluebird blue skys, the weather does not bother me. So I am not worried so much about cool weather, or some rain, even snow etc. Now 10 straight days of rain would put a damper on it, but cold mornings and a little fog or mist sound like good photography to me.

Would September 10-25 be too early for any fall colors in Scotland? When would there be fall colors? Would the midges still drive us crazy? When to be in NW Scotland to miss the midge season, but still get some fall color?

Would late April 15-30 beat the midges? Would there be any flowers out? Has spring arrived in the Highlands yet? What would be the best time in spring to get flowers and "warmer" temps but no midges?

Thanks.

One last question. When you are in the UK is it possible to find any inns/B+B's/motels or for that matter places to eat that are non-smoking? I take non-smoking for granted here the states, but has that concept caught on in Europe? Or are going to always smell like a Marlboro?

Re: UK-April or September?

don't know enough about Scotland to answer that part, but for the southwest:

Stonehenge is overated. Yes its worth a visit but it is highly controlled with guards around. The best time of day is early morning before you can get in and when there is no one about. A long lens is required for this and you can take images from outside of the fenced area. Since English Heritage took control, they have ruined it by trying to make money out of it and making it very difficult to gain access. There are plans to make it impossible to see it unless you pay. To do that they are going to build a tunnel so that you can't drive anywhere near it and make you park two miles away and pay to be transported to it. Currently the road runs right past it and so few pay to go in to see it close up.

A little further north in Wiltshire, is Avebury. This stone ring circles the whole village and is well worth a visit. It is built inside large earthworks. Again early morning is best as there will be far fewer people about, if any. Nearby to Avebury is Silbury Hill which is a very unusual ancient monument which is still unexplained. Just across the road from Silbury Hill at West Kennet, there are long barrows. The local market town of Marlborough is a very nice place to stay. Salisbury in the south of Wiltshire is a bigger and very nice town also, with its famous cathedral and spire seen in many paintings by Constable.

Much further West you have Devon and Cornwall. Cornwall has a beautiful coastline. Inland cornwall is fairly barren and not much to see. Devon also has a beautiful coastline. Where Devon scores is that it is much more interesting inland. Dartmoor provides miles and miles of relatively people free walking at the times of year you are thinking of. I would suggest later in the year rather than spring for Dartmoor. Simply because, if it has been a wet winter, which it usually is, then Dartmoor can be very boggy in the spring. But then again, it will be very green in the spring and fewer people about. Dartmoor has many stone circles and ancient monuments on a much smaller scale than Avebury or Stonehenge. Accomodation in the dartmoor area is plentiful. Dartmoor is about granite Tors and moorland river valleys. There are thatched cottages in abundance and semi wild Dartmoor ponies everywhere.

On route to Devon/Cornwall, Bath is defintely worth a visit for its Roman Baths and Architecture. Nearby to bath is Westonbirt Arboretum, which, if its Autumn, is defintely worth a visit for the colours. You are also in the vicinty of Lacock Abbey which was the home of Fox Talbot and is much visited by photographers and also Castle Combe which was voted prettiest village in England.

As for non smoking, you will have to ask. Many guest houses and small hotels are non smoking, but not all.

There are likely to be less people around in the spring unless its Easter in which case you had better book accomodation early. Either just before or after the Easter Bank Holiday is OK but not Easter itself.

British Weather is not predictable. Its not nearly as bad as its reputation but its just not predicatable. It can be warm in spring or like this year it was very cold. September will usually be warmer than Spring.

N.B. The lake District is one the wettest regions of England. It is also busy all year and horrendously busy in summer(July/August).

To add. Avebury is at one end of "The Ridgeway"

The Ridgeway is very good walking but they are straight line walks and not circular. Further East from Avebury in Berkshire you have "The White Horse" at Uffington and the "Wayland Smithy" which is a very well preserved Long Barrow. Both ancient monuments on high ground along the Rideway.

Avebury, Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow makes a nice circular walk approx 10 miles.

For Dartmoor view and for maps and paths of Dartmoor in extreme detail view

From dartmoor its worth driving down to Dartmouth for a days visit. On the south side of Dartmoor there is Bovey Tracey with an arts center which is definitely worth a visit.

Ahhh, but the food is always better in Italy!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    Ahhh, but the food is always better in Italy!
    If you have local knowledge then thats not necessarily true!

Exclamation Re: UK-April or September?

Hey,

Why concentrate on either the South of England or Scotland. Take my advice: -

1) get a plane direct to Manchester,
    2) hire a car,
    3) head for, and stay in the Yorkshire Dales (a National Park of outstanding beauty),
    4) using the Dales as a base you have, within 65 miles, two more of our wonderful National Parks - the Lake District and the Peak District,
    5) take lots and lots of Velvia 50,
    6) I'll see you in the Railway Inn in Edale (Peak District), one of the 3 pubs in Malham (Dales), and (not or!) in one of the lakeside pubs at Windermere (Lakes)

Whatever you do, have a great time over here.

Barry

"National Park" means different things in the UK than the US. People live in the National Parks and go about their everyday business much as they do outside. In the Parks however, development is highly restricted and much of the land, especially the higher areas, is open access.

Of your two dates, I would pick September: it is likely to still be warm(ish) and may well be sunny(ish)... or not... April suffers from the well known ditty: "April showers bring forth May's flowers"... and is likely to be cold too. Alternately, it can be warm and sunny, but you can't really rely on anything in England as far as the weather is concerned - you can only work with averages... Either time of year is likely to give you ground fog over the lakes etc in the mornings but April will give lower sun angles during the day for good light (but shorter days overall). In either case, you will probably need to hire a car as many local bus routes either do not run or are restricted to a couple of buses per day outside the peak tourist season.

Hiking in the Lake District or the Yorkshire Dales for example means walking along grass or gravel covered footpaths that were originally used by shepherds or people moving livestock from one valley to another, or between towns, as well as routes up to the various peaks (we are talking 2 - 3,000 feet here - this is NOT the Rockies!). There are any number of guide books showing circular routes taking from a few hours to a whole day (or longer it you want - but most are 1 day routes).

I can't really comment of Scotland except to say that I doubt Sept will see much colour change in foliage - it's certainly too early for the Lake District which is just below Scotland - October is the earliest there. Good news is that if you choose September, the school holidays end the 1st week in Sept so you will miss the peak tourist season. I always go to the Lakes etc in early Spring or late Autumn to avoid the worst of the crowds, even though the weather gets even more unpredictable at those times... I usually rent a flat or cottage in, or to the south of, Keswick (pronounced "kes-ik" - there's a lot of that sort of thing in N. England - much worse in Scotland! http://www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk/ - is where I usually book). Outside the peak tourist times as you propose visiting, last-minute booking will not be a problem, though the selection may be somewhat restricted - especially if you require non-smoking.

If you are interested in ancient sites then this site (http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/mapbrowser/) is a goldmine. The database takes a while to load, but it is worth the wait... If you must tick off Stonehenge, then do so, but as others have said, I would not give English Heritage (a Government organization) any of my money for their abuse of this most ancient of
    ancient monuments. Shoot it from a distance and it still retains its grandeur however.

Have fun, Bob.
    Last edited by Bobf; 11-Jul-2006 at 04:57.

RobC-
    I had seen some of your other posts on Avebury and that certainly sounded nicer than the crowd and fence at Stonehenge. Dartmoor sounds alot like the kind of place we would like to see and will be worthy of investigstion as our second location sounds like there is a nice mixture of scenery for my camera at daybreak, hiking, and history.

Rather than spend our time and try to see everything, my thought was to go to to say Devon for 3-5 days. Travel north to Scotland and spend the rest of our trip there 5-7 days. Maybe a day in Edinburgh and the rest along the coast and mountains.

I like getting a place to stay and being able to use it as a base for 3-4 days as opposed to moving every day.

John-
    Italy would be the wife's second choice. Actually I was pushing for Patagonia or Alaska, but we compromised on the UK.

BarryF-
    I'll look at Yorkshire Dales, that was another area that drew my interest.

When we first started looking at a trip like this we considered something like those REI walking tours. Sounded like a nice way to see an area. Now we are looking more at striking out on our own.

BobF-
    That is useful info about fall colors and holiday. I had thought about tying our trip around the US Labor Day holiday as then I could take 9 days off work and have two full weeks. But, we may push back a little bit if we do the fall.

How late in the year could you visit Scotland and expect fair weather? I understand that it can be fickle and can snow anytime, but generally would mid October be too cold, or miserable? What about late April?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hill
    RobC-

How late in the year could you visit Scotland and expect fair weather?
    The best chance to guarantee fair weather in Scotland would be the 32nd day of each month

Barry

I'm based in Perth. Late April sounds more likely, as if you're lucky you might get early spring flowers popping up and no midges until mid-June or so, whereas mid-september things will not be turning so much - last year was up to mid-November for autumn colours.

Assynt and Sutherland are two of my favoured areas - further north than you were thinking, but absolutely beautiful. Got through no end of film last August (back when I was only a medium-formatter Everything from 40mph gales kicking up spin-drift across the loch to sunlight streaming out from clouds over mountains, you name it. (Very remote: "Boss - it's not just that the mobile will be off - I *will* be out of range for the week" - and so I was

There's also Glen Affric just down from Inverness - within striking distance of Skye, but not very many b&bs nearby (book 6 months in advance if you want a chance during the busy season - oh, but there's Ffordes camera shop just up the road in Beauly, of course - shop of high gravitational coefficient). Affric is a magically beautiful area, one of the few remnants of the Caledonian Forest, totally gorgeous - I get the impression it's a classic place for photographers to hone their abilities. Good for a long day or two 2/3rd-day trips, at least.

Oh, and if you want to avoid midges: don't hang around the water's edge and don't eat sugary food (they'll be attracted to your breath).

I'd second considering the Lake District. Plenty of fun passes (1:4 gradients and stuff) around there, and there's Mediobogum (ancient roman fort remains) as well. Or north Yorkshire.
    Last edited by PigleT; 11-Jul-2006 at 11:30.