Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sources for internet based Photo Critiques?

Re: Sources for internet based Photo Critiques?

I just tried www.acutance.net. They won't let me register. Any suggestions?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856
    I just tried www.acutance.net. They won't let me register. Any suggestions?
    do you allow cookies?

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    do you allow cookies?
    I don't know. I think so because I have them on this forum and APUG and Photo.net. But my $%#$%# Norton Internet Security controls my computer in very strange ways at times.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heald
    . . . What is the appropriate file size to upload? I believe the limit for this forum is 600 pixels and that would yield 360k, correct? . . .
    The size limitation here is 650x650 pixels, and 180KB in file size.

I agree with chris jordan as well. While you can get plenty of criticism on line I would seriously doubt the value of it. While there are probably many people who can tell you why your photo wouldn't make a good postcard, how useful would that be unless you're trying to make postcards?

Read some of the criticism on photo.net and I think you'll see how bogus (and all too often mean spirited) the whole online criticism thing is.

I think Greg Miller and Brian Ellis offer far better alternatives.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hello! OK, I'll get up the church pics. I'm traveling for the rest of the week, so I won't have time to get them uploaded till Saturday. Thanks and best regards.

Mike

Hello! I managed to get the photos up before leaving. All three were were taken with my Tachihara 4x5 with TMax developed in TMax RS with a #25 Red filter over the course of several sequential visits. The first was taken with a 90mm lens, the last two with a 210mm lens. The first didn't do anything for me. The second seemed unbalanced and static. Thank you for your critiques. Best regards.

Mike

Photo 1:
    It seems that the camera back is not parallel to the subject and maybe the camera is not level side to side. The metal sign or box intruding into the right edge of the frame might have been eliminated by a different camera position - its not helping your picture. What made you set up the camera where you did?

Photo2:
    This looks like a photo of a tree with a building in the background. Why is that?

Photo 3:
    An improvement over Photo 2 - you are headed in the right direction. Is that some flare across the frame? There might be an interesting picture from farther away showing more of the entire setting. The shadow across the face of the bujilding tells me this may not be the best time to be there. What do you think?

If you go back you may see something better than you've already done. Walk around a lot and look and look and look. Set up the camera when you see something then look at it on the glass. Keep this up until you see a picture. Be sure you have a good dark cloth so you can see the ground glass really well.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

I just realized that its currently winter in Argentina! Did you make these photos recently? (I'm guessing from the trees with no leaves??)

Haa! I just noticed the first picture has some leaves showing - am I missing something or is that the same big tree with bare limbs in the other pictures?
    Last edited by Henry Ambrose; 11-Jul-2006 at 14:35.

Hello! I made the first exposure during Argentine summer. The tree was in full leaf. The vantage póint from the second and third photos obscured too much of the church in my opinion during the summer. However, during the winter, I thought the bare tree gave an interesting effect and theme to the photo.
    A problem is that the church property has a stone wall surrounding it, limiting the distance that I can back up. To get more of the surrounding, the alternative would be to use the 90mm lens but back up to where I shot the 210mm shots from. The only other location would be to shoot at a location between the location of these two shots, but that entail shooting pretty much through the tree. Now that it is winter, that might be a nice effect since the limbs are bare.
    The third picture shows up darker in this download than it prints or on my screen. I am not sure why.
    I tried two different times to see how the shadows would affect the tree and the church. The morning light of the second photo catches the tree limbs more face on, raising their tonal values, but I thought that the church had a flat appearance. Do you find the minimal church shadows of the second picture enhance or detract from the shot?
    For the third shot, I waited til midafternoon. The tree was nearly backlit, but I thought the shadows gave a sense of depth to the church. Yes, there is some flare, and I would have to guard against that better when I decide on the final negative compositon and time.
    Are the shadows too much in the third photo? Perhaps a time between the morning shot of the second picture and the mid afternoon shot of the third wold be the best time?
    Thank you for taking the time to look at this sequence. Best regards.

Mike

Mike, here's a basic question for you to ponder, which has helped me develop my own photographic work over the last 15 years: WHY do you photograph? Please don't try to answer the question here; it is one to think about privately, maybe over many years. There are simple and obvious answers, which are the ones that you could come up with quickly; and then below that are other deeper motivations that will only surface much later if you let them. If you can wonder deeply into this question, and not let yourself be satisfied with the obvious answers, then you will come to know for yourself what your photographic work is about. And then the question of whether certain shadows are right or wrong in a particular image, or whether you want to raise tonal values or lower them, will be easy to answer, and you won't have to seek anyone else's opinions. This to me is what it means to be an artist, if that is what you want to be.

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com