Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medium size ball heads: RRS/Kirk/Markins

Medium size ball heads: RRS/Kirk/Markins

I have been using an Acratech for a couple of years. At the time the Acratech was released, it was quite unique in its support/weight ratio. However I am not that pleased with it, because of the limited tilt in one direction, the lack for real friction control, and the fact that it takes a lot of force to fully lock. On a number of occasions, I have had camera flops when I though (mistakenly) that the set-up was locked.

I have noticed that there are now at least 3 alternatives, the RRS 40, Kirk BH3, and Markins. From my research so far, here are the drawbacks I see for each:

- RRS: smaller ball diameter, pan and main knobs are on opposite sides (does that make it more difficult to operate with one hand ?)
    - Kirk: heavier, not much of a progressive tension control
    - Markins: some complaints of it becoming sticky in cold weather

Any experiences ? The ball head would be used both with a Canon series 1 and up to 400/5.6, and a Canham 5x7 on a Gitzo 1227. I also have a 1325 with the Arca. Price and original clamp are not a deciding factor.

PS: I noticed that Acratech came up with a new design that addresses limitations of their original head, but at that point I'd rather try something else
    Last edited by QT Luong; 18-Jul-2006 at 13:54.

Re: Medium size ball heads: RRS/Kirk/Markins

QT,

I own the Markins M20 which I have on a Gitzo. I live in Arizona so I have not had it below 50 degrees fahrenheit. I have used this ball head with a Nikon D200 with 70-200 VR lens, Arca swiss 4x5 and and Arca Swiss 8x10 and have never had a problem with it. I am delighted with this ball head and it has performed as advertised in all situations I have put it in. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Miguel

I have been using a Markins ball head with a Gitzo 1257 for about 6 months. I am very happy with it. It has been a flawless piece of equipment-a real joy to use. However, I have not ever used it in very cold weather and so can't comment on its performance there.
    Dave B.

I've been using the Markins M10 (I think) for about a year and so far it's done very well (and improves the things you mention over the Acratech). For a toyo 45A, Technikardan and Phillips 8x10

It only went out a few times in the cold weather - not really cold, probably only -10/15c. I didn't note any problems then (of course now it's been mentioned I'll give it a good cold weather try out this winter... mind you, the Arca B1 could get pretty stiff in cold weather too)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Two comments:

1) I had the same issues with the Acratech and bought the Kirk BH3. For a smaller, lightweight head it performs superbly. Good for up to and including DSLR or field 4x5.

2) However, if price is not a concern and you don't mind living with a bit more weight to get the ultimate tripod head, take a look at the Arca Cube. It is probably the single best acessory I have ever bought for positioning of my cameras. Excellent for up to and including 4x5 or field 5x7 cameras, but marginal IMO for 8x10.

My review with images: http://www.getdpi.com/cube.html
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

aka - "Arca-Borg"
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

-10/15C sounds plenty cold to me, but I am a Californian. The Cube is one of the most impressive pieces of gear I've seen, but probably a bit too much on the 1227, which is used so much for 35mm that I prefer a BH design :-)

I've used the Kirk BH-3 with a full Hasselblad kit and a Linhof 4x5. Never a problem. I recommend it without hesitation.

Look at a Novoflex ClassicBall 3.

The Novoflex is much closer in weight to the AS B1 that I have than to the medium ball head I am looking to replace.