Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Advice

Smile Tripod Advice

I shoot a 5x4 monorail at present Cambo SC, I need to replace my tripod as its getting worn out, The tripod I have now is a good sturdy manfrotto but it seems to lack a good spread in order stabilise the camera. I can replace the head which is the worn part but im shooting in some conditions where it feels the tripod could easily topple over due to the lack of ground coverage allowable.

Could the forum members give any product names and model references to look up

rgds
    Dusty

Re: Tripod Advice

Hi Dusty,

I shoot with a Manfrotto Model 475 and find it's a nice tripod for supporting either a Dorff 5x7 or, at times, an 8x10.

The head I'm using is either a Manfrotto 405 or 410 depending on the camera.

IMHO, great combinations!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Look at the Fiesol 3471. They are similar to Gitzo and at half the price. They are shipped directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan to US in about four days. I have one with my Sinar P.

Thumbs up Re: Tripod Advice

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Regarding the Fiesol 3471 I cant seem to find a website , would you have the site address
    bychance

rgds
    Dustym

Used Tiltalls made by Leitz go for less than $100 on ebay (forget the new ones made in China). They weigh 6# complete with pan/tilt head. IMO they are the best tripods made for cameras up to 5x7 (they were originally designed before WW2 for the Cine-Kodak).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Lightbulb Re: Tripod Advice

I don't understand why when it comes to tripods photographers want to save money. A good, solid tripod and head are essential to a quality image. What good is spending money on great optics and a reliable camera, when they shake, rattle and roll.

So do your homework, ask questions (as you have done here), and go out and physcially examine verious models of tripods to see if they match your needs.

Are you shooting only in a studio, only in the field, or both? Do you backpack your camera to remote areas, or shoot from the back of your car? Are you shooting long glass at lot (here you may need two tripods)? Do you shoot macro? Do you shoot in winter a lot (carbon or wood might serve you better in extreme cold)? Just to name a few questions I'd ask a friend if they asked for advice.

Here's a few resources to review. There are many more.

http://www.riestripod.com/

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

http://www.bogenimaging.us/

etc.

A lot of pros I used to work for as an assistant - who weren't backpacking their gear - would use 20lb Gitzo 5 series tripods with tiny Hasselblads. If you aren't a hiker, bigger is always better.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Get a Berlebach tripod. Great stuff.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

www.feisol.com

Quote Originally Posted by dustym
    Thanks for the quick feedback.

Regarding the Fiesol 3471 I cant seem to find a website , would you have the site address
    bychance

rgds
    Dustym

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856
    Used Tiltalls made by Leitz go for less than $100 on ebay (forget the new ones made in China). They weigh 6# complete with pan/tilt head. IMO they are the best tripods made for cameras up to 5x7 (they were originally designed before WW2 for the Cine-Kodak).
    Interesting. My Tiltall goes back to "pre-Leitz" days -- to the Marchioni era. I've used it with 35mm since before there was dirt and to this day, it's never let me down. But when I moved into LF (4x5), I wasn't sure about it, so I got a surveyor's tripod. Not much to look at, but I figgered it's sturdy as all get-out and those guys have to set up their pods in all kinds of terrain. So I rigged up a head for it and never looked back.

And to think I could've been using my Tiltall all along! I wish I had seen this post two years ago.