Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kill the Lounge!

Re: Kill the Lounge!

this is more fun

I too feel bad about some threads and postings on this forum but have also noticed that some of them are made by the very same people I have learned lots of LF-stuff from. I have also learned from other sites that some of the really interesting photographers have a very 'personalized personality' and get's into all kinds of discussions not only by own cause but due to emotions that their work stir up around them.
    I guess some people who have been on this forum from the start...have seen more or less the same questions come up again and again and again...the Lounge might be the way to actually have them stay around until something really tricky comes up and then they will contribute.

I certainly do not intend to encourage 'bad behaviour'! We need to remember that we are all humans and that we do have feelings and various degree of self-esteem and security about who we are and what we would like to be. For some the tone in certain threads are very discouraging and could scare people away from this forum...others seem to like the rough and killing like atmosphere.

People with 1000-2000 posts need to consider what kind of responsibility they have for this forum...newcomers will be impressed by the number of posts and automatically think that that person is the forum.

As far as personal behaviour is concerned I would quote a swedish author 'Hjalmar Soderberg':
    "One wants to be loved; failing this, to be admired; failing this, to be feared; failing even this, to be hated and despised. One wants to arouse some sort of feeling in people. The soul shrinks from the void and wants contact at any price."

Let's not push people further into hate and despise...

Kind regards, Patrik.
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 23-Jun-2006 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen
    ...People with 1000-2000 posts need to consider what kind of responsibility they have for this forum...newcomers will be impressed by the number of posts and automatically think that that person is the forum...
    Precisely -- because they are this forum. Thank you Patrik, for distilling it so well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen
    ...People with 1000-2000 posts need to consider what kind of responsibility they have for this forum...newcomers will be impressed by the number of posts and automatically think that that person is the forum...

Precisely -- because they are this forum. Thank you Patrik, for distilling it so well.

oh dear - what a load of old codswallop
    Last edited by tim atherton; 23-Jun-2006 at 19:10.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

CODSWALLOP
    Nonsense.

This mainly British colloquial expression is recorded only from the 1960s, but is certainly older. Its origin is uncertain. Some argue it may be from cods, an old term for the testicles that derives from the Anglo-Saxon sense of cod, a bag. It is also suggested that wallop may be connected with the dialect term meaning to chatter or scold (not with the word meaning a heavy blow).
    One explanation has it that it refers to the late Hiram Codd, who—despite his archetypally American first name—was British, born in Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk in 1838. He spent his life working in the soft drinks business. In the 1870s, he designed and patented a method of sealing a glass bottle by means of a ball in its neck, which the pressure of the gas in the fizzy drink forced against a rubber washer. Making the bottle was a technical challenge, since the ball necessarily had to be larger than the diameter of the neck. It was only in 1876, when he teamed up with a Yorkshire glass blower named Ben Rylands, that the answer was found. The Codd bottle was an immediate success; surviving examples are now highly collectable. You opened them by pushing the ball into the neck, and openers in the shape of short, thin cylinders were supplied for the purpose. One unexpected problem was that children smashed the bottles to use the glass balls as marbles.
    The suggestion is that drinkers who preferred their tipple to have alcohol in it were dismissive of Mr Codd’s soft drinks. As beer was often called wallop, they referred sneeringly to the fizzy drink as Codd’s wallop, and the resulting word later spread its meaning to refer to anything considered to be rubbish.
    This story reeks of the approach to word history called folk etymology. As one writer has put it, it seems rather too neat an explanation to be true. But nobody’s come up with anything better.

multiplex

what is so hard about just ignoring a thread you don't want to read?

john

From my lowly newcomer standpoint, the Lounge seems just fine - just a bunch of grown-ups occasionally sounding off about our upsidedown and backwards world while exploring the upsidedown and backwards image in their ground gless. If anybody can handle upsidedown and backwards, seems we can.

PS - Want to see what we would be without a place like the Lounge? Check out the Leica Forum: Pretty dull and anal. Do these people have real emotion? Certainly, but they've no place on the site to show their human (sometimes bitchy) side. Yes, I know it's corporate sponsored and needs limits, but lord, does LFPF want to be that stiff?

I think it's pretty fishy that some want to kill the lounge. I don't see myself posting a highly political thread but when someone does in which my country is slandered I ain't gonna sit on the sidelines.

Could it be things got so hot in the Zarkawi thread because the few of us here who are patriotic nationalists (to varrying degrees it is important to add) had the temerity to actually put forward our rightest ideas. I think that REALLY ticked off a a few folks so much that they want to stop this disgusting free speach.

Well, Scott is right. Killing the lounge would stink of Political Correctness. And be downright wimpy.

And anti-American.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fleming
    I think it's pretty fishy that some want to kill the lounge. I don't see myself posting a highly political thread but when someone does in which my country is slandered I ain't gonna sit on the sidelines.

Could it be things got so hot in the Zarkawi thread because the few of us here who are patriotic nationalists (to varrying degrees it is important to add) had the temerity to actually put forward our rightest ideas. I think that REALLY ticked off a a few folks so much that they want to stop this disgusting free speach.
    Not at all (imo) - you may spout insane stuff that makes Anne Coulter look like Mother Theresa, ( ) but I'd defend your right to say it
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog