Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contrast in Photos:Are YOU a Contrast Junkie?

Re: Contrast in Photos:Are YOU a Contrast Junkie?

Good morning Ed K,

Generally not something I conciously consider when taking photographs. So I took a quick glance over my images, and see that sometimes my choices are high contrast. I did not take this as only a B/W imaging question, since this is an aspect of colour imaging too. My choices in colour transparency films for 4x5 tend to be mid to high contrast, with my preference going to Kodak E100VS, which is one of the highest contrast transparency films. However, the film I wish Kodak made in 4x5 is E200, which is low to medium contrast.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Am I a contrast junkie? In a word, no.

While I enjoy a print with a full range of tones as much as the next person, I also enjoy prints that are nearly monotones, both high key and low. Although it may be the "cheap way out" to say it depends on the image, it really does. Each type of image creates its own mood or mental response in the viewer. Some viewers simply have broader horizons than others.

To follow-up on Eric Biggerstaff's observation about the work of Ansel Adams: If pressed for a generalization, I would say that I prefer the "later" Ansel versus "early" Ansel. I always thought that Ansel's more contrasty renditions had more "punch" and were more interesting to look at. Of course, it takes a lot of skill that I frequently don't have to pull this off without obviously blowing out highlights or blocking up shadows!

I got into B&W photography after cutting my photographic teeth on contrasty color chrome, and one of the first teachings my B&W mentors hit me with (to which I still largely follow) was that a good B&W photograph has good, solid shadow detail. Add to that a requirement to avoid blowing out the sky (present in much of my work), and I find that contrast frequently becomes fairly circumscribed. In general, I try to do contrast control via the negative, rather than through selection of various paper grades.

So...if I can get away with plus development I will do so, but in general my B&W work emphasizes shadow detail and a more reserved, formal look. This makes for a nice counterpoint to my more overtly showy, highly contrasty and saturated, "look at me!" color images.

Contrast and tone should, in my opinion, be used MEANINGFULLY.

Think about it. Read Edward Tufte - lots to think about there.

Hey JW - I have Visual Display of Quantitative Information and others. He does have good points, and they apply, however I was hoping for thoughts more specific to photographic applications. Indeed, so many ways to go on the subject - and nice to hear what others have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K.
    Hey JW - I have Visual Display of Quantitative Information and others. He does have good points, and they apply, however I was hoping for thoughts more specific to photographic applications. Indeed, so many ways to go on the subject - and nice to hear what others have to say about it.
    Well - what I take from Tufte is really simple. Essentially what I said above. But essentially - keep things (contrasts - tonal contrasts, conceptual contrasts, etc etc) as simplified as possible. Keep the drama for the dramatic information. In the way that Tufte would suggest that layers of information on a map should be subtle but distinguishable enough to be read independently - likewise there are times when you don't necessarily WANT cutting sharpness and detail everywhere. Sometimes it detracts from the photograph. Of course - one needs to enter into a dialog of what a specific photograph is about in order to determine this... but I think that one can operate intuitively with respect to making well-ordered pictures. So the dialog can be had unconsciously I suppose. Anyway -you're certainly getting me into territory that is pretty new for me in terms of actually VERBALIZING it - but I think I probably expressed my ideas fairly faithfully - I'll let you know when I have a sudden breakthrough...!

Jonathan

I'm having a Columbo moment here (re: the TV series - the way he'd always walk back into the interrogation) - in case I didn't HINT at it before... I think it's generally tasteful when a full range of tones are printed - and only just a hint of pure white or black - likewise it's the hallmark also of good graphic design. Very subtle shading and layering of information and just a splash of color where needed...