Thread: The "best-lensboards.com/"

The "best-lensboards.com/"

Greetings,

I'm curious... has anybody here had any experiences with Doug Theall who makes lensboards?

His website is:

http://www.best-lensboards.com/

How are his products? Are they comparable to the original boards? Advantages? Disadvantages? :>|

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Re: The "best-lensboards.com/"

I have no knowledge of, or experience with, Doug's lensboards. However, I've made a few of my own, and I will categorically state that large format lensboards are not rocket science. The boards in the photos on his website look good, and his prices aren't too bad.

Wink Re: The "best-lensboards.com/"

I can't speak for or about Doug Theall's lens boards but I have made lens boards for my 4x5 view camera and have had very good performance from the boards that I have made. Doug's work looks to be first rate so give a try ; buy one board and see if it meets with your approval.

Thumbs up Re: The "best-lensboards.com/"

I have done business with Doug. He made some Deardorff lens boards for me. Very nice guy and I like his boards too.

Another economical option is ebay seller oaklandlenscom. I got an ugly and perfectly serviceable board with a custom odd-sized hole for five bucks. Can't beat that price. Search for "Lens board custom sized". He'll even make standard sizes. They are all wood.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CXC
    Another economical option is ebay seller oaklandlenscom. I got an ugly and perfectly serviceable board with a custom odd-sized hole for five bucks. Can't beat that price. Search for "Lens board custom sized". He'll even make standard sizes. They are all wood.

I bought ten lens boards off him for my tachiharia. $5 each, he will drill the boards any size you want for that price included. He shows them grey, but if you ask, he'll paint them black, no extra cost. Very simple, a bit ugy, and totally functional. I find the boards are a tiny bit loose in my tachihara, but that was easily fixed.

I also made some of my own lens bards. I bought one new for my Tachihara, and once I had that as a pattern, lens baords aren't that hard to make.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I bought five boards from Doug a few months ago. He drilled them to size and even made an adapter-board for me (I supplied the hardware). They were decently made, but a bit loose fitting for my camera. I didn't like the color of the finish, but it wasn't ugly, just that weird color which plywood takes on when stained. Next time I will paint them black.

I have. He sometimes needs a couple of days for the finish to dry, but he is fast, relatively inexpensive, and his work is high quality.

Doug Dolde

He can't spel to gud.

"Click here to got to Paypal."

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses... I'll post a little review here after I receive my adapter board from Doug.

Jason,

What kind of plywood was used on your board?

LOL... Doug, I don't really care if he can't "spel to gud" as long as he produces great lens board adapters!

BTW... his website says it's a money back guarantee for his products! Gotta love that!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!