Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PayPal/E-bay Files May Have Been Hacked

Re: PayPal/E-bay Files May Have Been Hacked

Please, those of you who have been subject to CC frauds lately...would you please explain what you think they did to buy things...like did they log in to your account through paypal, or did they register an online Western Union (bidpay) account/transaction or do you think they produced a fake Credit card and went to a merchant or?

Registering/re-registering the CC-info on paypal is actually what I always regarded being the most vulnerable part of paypal, since this is when all your CC-info will travel the internet around the world, and one does not know if there is a "virus/ trojan horse"
    in the PC taking records of the typing on the keyboard.
    Even though this is said to be under the control of https I still do not fully trust this thing. I always double and triple check that the web page is what it says it is...and then keep my fingers crossed.

Some dealers want you to 'checkout' through their webpage and when transferred to Paypal the webpage does not always look like a 'normal' paypal page - scary...
    It simply is becoming very hard to understand who you are actually dealing with.

My credit card number was also hijacked. The bank called me Saturday about suspicious activity and it turned out that $700.00 in various charges had gone through. I have fraud protection so no loss, but what a pain! I had the card cancelled-new ones with new numbers on the way. I didn't connect the problem with PayPal, but I did use them Thursday for a transaction so it is possible that is where the theft occured.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Gomez
    It's interesting to note that on the same day and nearly the same time that a Western Union transaction was illegally conducted with Kerry's card and mine. What we both have in common is our PayPal accounts.
    Just a thought - none of you said which bank is your CC with... As well you shouldn't advertise, but perhaps you should compare notes in private and see if it's maybe the same bank (or banking group).

It wouldn't be impossible that someone got hold of your accounts through some not very obvious channel. It could also have happened less recently and it simply took some time while information was going around until it ended up with the "end user", so to speak.

I am not saying it is not PayPal, I'm just thinking - eBay/PayPal is big and popular enough that if something happened there it would surely make a big splash in a hurry.

Doug Dolde

I had three $300 charges on my VISA. When I called the bank to report fraud they told me there are people who just sit around and try cc numbers until they get one that works. They immediately cancelled my card, issued a new one, and issued credits for the charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde
    I had three $300 charges on my VISA. When I called the bank to report fraud they told me there are people who just sit around and try cc numbers until they get one that works.....
    I had the same thing, and the merchant approved the sale with the WRONG expiration date??? And like Doug said, my bank suspects a random hit on cc number.

Patrik,

In regards to my PayPal activities, all of my transactions took place on the PayPal web site and nowhere else.

Incidentally, I informed PayPal of the problem yesterday, and I have not received any e-mail from them. If my problem has made a "big splash," then it would be about as spectacular as a dust particle hitting the Pacific ocean from a height of one meter.

If you are really worried about your credit cards, call your credit card company and talk to them to see what they suggest.

I think as a matter of course for me I will periodically cancel the credit card I use on the Internet to make it just a little more difficult for others to steal my credit card records.