Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 4x5 film holder?

Which 4x5 film holder?

I've only used Quickload before but want to try 4x5 sheet film.
    No idea which film holder to use.
    I'm in the UK and looking at Robert Whites website they sell the Toyo holders, and Teamwork Digital sell Fidelity Elite holders.
    The Fidelity work out less expensive.
    There doesn't seem to be a massive difference in price between used and new (i.e if I bought five it would probably cost £60 more) so for overall peace of mind I'll probably start with new.
    Which do I go for?
    Is any particular make lighter weight or more durable, or easier to use than another?
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Final question - is the F64 film holder bag available in the UK, and if so where? And if not where to get in US please?
    Thanks.

Re: Which 4x5 film holder?

I have been using Fidelity for the past 20 odd years: never had a problem with them, can recomend them to you.
    I don't know the Toyo's and don't have one to compare theweight, but they should be around the same.

Peter

I've purchased Fidelities and Toyos--both new and used--and I don't see that the Toyo holders are worth any more than the Fidelities. There are going to be arguments to that statement, but that's how I see it. The better holders that I've used are the Riteways. I like the locking slide.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have switched to the newer Riteway holders. They have a locking darkslide and the ability to record a two digit number on the film edge. You should be able to pickup used film holders on ebay for about 10-20% of new prices and they will work for you just as well as new. I have never bought a new film holder and all the used have worked just fine for me. There have even been some on sale on this forum. I have quite a few older Riteways, some that are like new that I would be willing to sell. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

You will not have a problem with either brand. Get some of each and decide which you prefer in the field.

I like the Toyo more than the Fidelity by a smidgen. Both work fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Badger Graphic Sales sells f.64 bags.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...uct_list&c=222

Rick "who was looking at them recently" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by newmoon2night View Post
    Is any particular make lighter weight or more durable, or easier to use than another?
    In the end, they were all made (that is, Rightway, Fidelity, Lisco,... except Toyo which is still made in Japan IIRC) in the same shop Calumet owns in LA, but the same guy. They all weigh about the same, and have about the same durability.

If you buy new, do yourself a favor and find a zip lock plastic bag that the holders will fit into (in the US, a ZipLock one quart freezer bag is a good fit for 5x4 holders), take the holders out of the box and put them into the ziplock bags immediately. Don't let the holders touch anything that isn't really really really clean (like your filmholder loading table in your darkroom). In the field the holders should be either in your hand, in the camera, or in a ziplock. No where else. Ever.

Cleanliness is the path to less time spent doing painful and tedious dust spotting. And that's a good thing no matter how you print. Since the holders start life clean, it's much easier to keep them clean than it is to try to clean them once they become dirty. I'm just sayin'...

Bruce Watson

I recommend anti-static bags that computer equipment comes in for holding film holders. Taking them in and out of a regular plastic bag can cause dust attracting static.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

@ Rick: do you know of an equivalent for 8x10 holders?