Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 360 f6.8 Symmar S multicoated

Schneider 360 f6.8 Symmar S multicoated

Hi everyone!

Today, my very first LF lens arrived - a Schneider 360mm f6.8 Symmar S multicoated.

Well, I noted what I thought was the lens serial number and skipped-off to the Schneider lens-dating site that someone on this Forum very kindly flagged-up. The site gives me a date of 1954 and I wondered if this could be true. I was expecting it to be old - maybe even 1970's - but this is seriously old. I wonder if I might be reading the part number or something, and the lens number is secreted somewhere else?

Anyway, if it is 1954, it is in super condition and I love it to bits.

Have a great week everyone,

Steven

Re: Schneider 360 f6.8 Symmar S multicoated

Sounds odd to me, maybe you noted the serial number of the shutter.
    The Symmar-s I know of have the serial number on the outside of the front lens-cell.

(Checking my Symmar-S 180mm in a copal-shutter, the shutter has a serial number of 4 xxx xxx which probably puts it in the 1950's if compared to the Schneider list, which is wrong ofcourse)
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 5-Jun-2006 at 07:20.

Patrik - thank you for that!

I have found another number - 13 403 577 - and that would date the lens at October 1978.

The number I relied on earlier had "Lens made in Germany" printed adjacent.

Thank you!

Steven

Steve,

Nothing small about that lens, is there?

What format are you using it with?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Yes, this lens is very pleasing to hold. It feels solid, reliable and well-made. I guess its well-over a kilo. I selected this lens hoping it might be useful on both 4x5 and 8x10. My trio of wants in my first lens were:
    f5.6 for composing comfort;
    large image circle (491mm) so I could experiment with lots of movements;
    useable to some degree on both 4x5 and 8x10.

As you can see, I didn't quite achieve the aperture target I set myself. I did receive a nice bonus, though, - it came mounted on a clean Sinar lensboard. (I am expecting a P2 sometime this week).

Steven
    Eastbourne
    UK

Steven,

I can say with certainty that you'll have TONS of movements with this chunk of glass on a 4x5. And, you'll have LOTS on 8x10. Minimum coverage requirements are as follows:

4"x5" 153.7mm

8"x10" 312.5mm

As for the aperture... I think you'll be quite happy with the 6.8. Are you using this lens in a studio environment or are you taking her out into the field? Mine stays strictly indoors.

The P2 is a great camera... you won't be lugging that puppy out into the field very often though! I use the X version, which weighs about the same. I'm sure you'll love all the geared movements.

Any ideas as to what you're going to get for an 8x10?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

The camera is strictly for studio work. My partner was applying gentle pressure to steer me to a Linhof Master Technikardan, perhaps with ideas of wandering around the South Downs and Beachy Head. I stuck to my guns, though, and purchased a 4x5 P2 together with the 8x10 upgrade kit.

I fully expected to buy the super value Sinar X, and started my search about four weeks ago. But then an irresistable P2 deal came-up on eBay USA, with the item based in the Netherlands (so no VAT / import tax for UK buyers). I took this as a sign of what was meant to be - so bought it!

Steven

Steven,

Backpacking with either the X or the P2 is not the thing to do unless you enjoy hernias!

My alternative was to go for a Dorff 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back. It saves wear and tear on the old body! At one time, I did have a Master Technika but I just didn't "connect" with it. Lots of people love them though...

The upgrade kit will come in handy! I wish I were able to do that with my version of the X... there is a model that allows upgrading to the different formats but mine, unfortunately, doesn't. That's why I just bought the Dorff 8x10.

If the P2 was your "ultimate" choice... then I think it was very fortuitous that it dropped into your lap. So, it was meant to be!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

P2 is a very good camera for studio...for field use with movements, nothing will beat an arca swiss fline !

The P2 and 8x10 Upgrade Kit arrived late yesterday. I wonder how I am to persuade the main rail to slide through the tripod ring . . . . . . perhaps I ought to ask the seller since he disassembled it!

Steven