Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 5 X 7 Toyo ??????

Re: 5 X 7 Toyo ??????

Like Michael's post above this one, I just bought one of the gray Toyo half-plate size field cameras. Same one that Q.T. describes in his 5x7 articles on this site.
    It's on its way to me from Japan, don't have it in hand yet.

Sale included the 4x5, half-plate, whole plate expansion, and 5x7 backs. The 5x7 back is not original; it's darker metal, has a fresnel, and was machined to fit from (I presume) another Toyo camera.

I bought the camera for 5x7 usage, but I'm intrigued too by the whole plate back. It seems like it might be an awkward contraption, but, since it has its own bellows and can extend pretty far behind the camera, I think it may solve the limited bellows draw issue.. at least when shooting WP film. And the seller is sending me two Toyo whole plate holders. ..saves me from buying the Chamonix versions; probably to find they would not work!

neophyte

Well who knew Im a member of an exclusive club! I bought a 57G last year off the 'bay in good shape; as stated takes all the toyo 45 stuff. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by brianam View Post
    ...And the seller is sending me two Toyo whole plate holders...
    I'd be most appreciative if, when your shipment arrives, you would post some pictures and measurements of those Toyo holders. Thanks in advance!

Toyo made a very appealing full plate field camera 6"x8". It was similar to the early 45A models. They also made a 5"x7" back for it.

neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by ramiroelena View Post
    Please allow me to refloat this thread for advice. I am being offered a Toyo View 57G with a Schneider Symmar 5,6 / 180mm and a couple film holders for $720.

I've gotten the bug for 5x7 after reading some much praise in this forum. I already own a Toyo Field 45A and a couple lenses so, is it a good price?
    What do you guys reffer to when speaking of hard to find backs?

Thanks! (sorry if this shouldn't go here, just don't want to start a new topic)
    After my discovery of my relative uniqueness in ownership, back to the OP:

I think this is a decent price ***subject to all the usual assumptions when buying used***. I paid ~500 for my 57G, holders for 57 are anywhere from 25-100 each (used..new) and a 180 symmar will fetch anything from 50-200+ judging by ebay. Given the *relative* scarcity of 57 cameras compared with 45 or 810 I think this is a good deal if in good shape

The only 57G piece I've seen is the folding focus shade that came in a package deal with a completely different camera. I still have it... just haven't gotten around to selling it yet.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Well I bought one (the GII) from Japan a few months ago when the yen was nearing its bottom:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToyoGII_5x7Camera_05_NewBellows.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	235106

The bellows is new and it will accommodate my 480mm Apo Ronar which gives a FOV a tad stronger than the 760mm Apo Nikkor on the 810. I've been thinking about getting the long bellows for it which would permit using the 610 and 760 lenses. I also picked-up the 5x7 to 4x5 reducing back for a color film option. I've been looking for this camera on and off for several years and actually was outbidded for one on ebay by a member here.

I own a Toyo 57M. That's the old gray one. I don't find the movements limiting at all and I rather like the geared rise and fall. It's a bit heavy, but very sturdy.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

57M? Is that the 5x7 Deluxe model? Just before I bought the GII I was looking for a Toyo 5x7 rear standard so that I could covert my Robos to 5x7. I found one online at National Camera Exchange but after taking a hard look determined it was for the Deluxe and didn't buy it because I thought that it might not work with the Robos. Good thing too because it was priced at 4/$500 and for that I ended up getting the whole GII camera with a new bellows. The only thing that it didn't have was the folding focusing hood which came standard with the camera. I'm on the lookout for one but purchased an acrylic GG protector for now. Finally, I don't think the 720mm long bellows will work with the 760 Apo Nikkor. 720mm is the length of the standard bellows on the 810 and I have to use the 1200mm long bellows to use that lens on the MII or G. Probably will need to go to an 800mm bellows for that to work.

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/2...era-do-i-have/