Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print Washer: inside dividers?

Print Washer: inside dividers?

Hello everyone! I just bought a polyethylene batch tank to make a print washer with. My question to those of you who use a Versalab or similar type washer is about the print dividers. Are they smooth acrylic or do they have a dimpled type finish?

I ask this because I am wondering if a smooth acrylic will make the wet prints stick to them? Am I better off using a rough finish acrylic or polystyrene, like a fluorescent light diffuser, so that the print will come out easier and not stick to the sides.

Is this even a concern? I plan on Versalab/Cascade design combination.I am not totally sure on my design yet.

I would appreciate the input as far as prints sticking to Smooth Plexiglas or acrylic!
    Dan

If anyone is interested you can purchase the tank that is like the one that Versalab uses from;
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=6304#

Re: Print Washer: inside dividers?

I have used a Zone VI print washer in workshops. The dividers are smooth acryllic. Yes, there is a tendency for prints to adhere to the dividers, but I never found that the "stickiness" was a problem in removing prints from the washer

The are not smooth like plexi. I think they have a more textured finish, but i can check it later. One nice feature is that they are quite thin and flexible so that you can you can get your hand in to grab a print.

look at the plastic selections from McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/

type "plastic" and press find.
    Last edited by Dan Schmidt; 2-Jun-2006 at 16:10.

they are smooth.
    They won't stick because the paper is not flat but has slight curvature at the edges.

www.dfoschiksite.com

Out of context.

How do you post a new thread?

I used a Zone VI Studios washer for years. It had clear dividers and the prints never stuck to the dividers, the moving water always seemed to keep them off the dividers. I also used that washer for 8x10 film and the same thing, i.e. no sticking.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks, I think I will go with the textured acrylic.
    domenico, to post a new thread back up to the main index you want to post it under and at the top of the listed threads there is a button that says New thread.
    Dan

The dividers in my Versalab are polystyrene. You can find smaller sheets in hobby shops for model constructon. The sheets are connected by plastic rods and spacers. The dividers are flexible so you can slide your hand in to reach small prints.

20 thou (0.020 inch) acrylic ought to work. Even 10 thou might, but 30 thou would be a touch stiff, I think.

Dan,
    I don't know how textured it is, but I would avoid it just to make sure not to damage the emulsion when inserting and pulling the paper, after all the emulsion when wet is more vulnerable.
    Nothing may happen, but I would stay safe.

Thank you for the posting tutorial.

I have an 11X14 Cross-Jet Archival print washer from Alistair Inglis (often advertised in View Camera magazine). He uses the textured dividers (a texture I have never seen), which seem to be very effective in minimizing the risk of prints sticking. Alistair is a friendly and generous photographer in Vancouver B.C. who, I am sure, would be very happy to share his knowledge with you.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i find that prints often stick to smooth dividers, but it's not a problem. it doesn't seem to have much effect on wash times. i tend to unstick them if i'm walking by and notice, but it doesn't seem to be important.

prints don't get washed by the physical action of water flowing over them. they get washed by the chemical diffusion of thiosulfate ions from a more concentrated to a less concentrated solution. the flow of the water is just to guarantee an abundant supply of clean water to encourage this diffusion. This is why photographers with a lot of patience have gotten great wash results by soaking prints in trays of water and replacing the water every few minutes.

also, the most stubborn to remove thiosulfate ions aren't bound to the emulsion at all ... they're bound to the paper fibers. if anything, you'd want to make sure the back of the prints are always exposed to fresh water.