Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: optical aids for focussing

optical aids for focussing

I bought 2 pair of 2.75Diop. glasses at a flea mkt. for $10. Then popped the lenses out of one and Siliconed them on top of the mounted pair. Now I can look at my G.G. from 5" and get the whole 6x7 image. Much better than 14" out with my 2.75 reading glasses. It must be great to have "young" eyes aga in.

optical aids for focussing

hi george' i also don't have young eyes anymore i use 2 pwer reading glasses from the drug store $22 i can see the gg very well on 4x5 i'm also using longer lenses when i was younger i always shot very wide ? i've been using the view camera for 228 yrs for commercial and fine art now finally i have seperated my cameras into my needs see ya!

Re: optical aids for focussing

Hi George, I'm trying out a focussing hood from an old Mamiya RB67

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but this question is regarding "focusing aids". I wear glasses now and when I wear contacts I cannot focus any camera I have very well. Any guesses/reasoning here? I'd love to hear from anyone on this.

Before anyone may ask: No, I am not blind with the contacts on, I actually see better close-up with contacts than with glasses and I do get annual eye check-ups.
    Last edited by darr; 25-Jul-2006 at 14:40.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I use an Optivisor with the #10 lensplate, which is a 3.6x power. Now I have both hands free to work the camera as I'm analyzing the GG. And I use both eyes. No squinting through a loupe that you have to hold under the hood. Besides, I use one of those elastic silvery head bags. Try getting your hand in there!

Jeffrey, I looked at the Optivisor on line and it says it is for viewing objects at a distance of four inches. How do you use it when viewing the GG? Do you have to try and keep it about four inches from the GG? It looks interesting and I also use one of the silver bags.

LOL.... Just buy a 20x24 camera! The ground glass should be large enough to see from a distance!

Darr,

Are your lenses bifocals? I wear bifocals glasses and can see the gg from about 8" away. When I switch to contacts... I have to back up about double that distance.

It sucks to be getting older and losing one's eyesight!

Life!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    LOL.... Just buy a 20x24 camera! The ground glass should be large enough to see from a distance!

Darr,

Are your lenses bifocals? I wear bifocals glasses and can see the gg from about 8" away. When I switch to contacts... I have to back up about double that distance.

It sucks to be getting older and losing one's eyesight!

Life!

Cheers
    Capocheny: Yes, I am now in bifocals and what a pain at times! I just wonder why we do not experience the same dilemma with glasses. Any Optometrists/Ophthalmologists out there want to chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hopson
    .....I looked at the Optivisor on line and it says it is for viewing objects at a distance of four inches. How do you use it when viewing the GG? Do you have to try and keep it about four inches from the GG? .....
    I also use the Optivisor, with the #5 lens and the supplemental magnifier. I had throught about the #10 (and I have that lens), but with the supplemental magnifier I have 2 options.... viewing most of the image or just a small portion.

Quote Originally Posted by darr
    Capocheny: Yes, I am now in bifocals and what a pain at times! I just wonder why we do not experience the same dilemma with glasses. Any Optometrists/Ophthalmologists out there want to chime in?
    Hi Darr,

My opthalmologist told me to get a pair of regular glasses for distance viewing AND a pair of contacts strictly for viewing the ground glass.

I've thought about going that route but... the cost of my lenses aren't cheap.

Who knows? If I get fed up enough... I may just go this route and see what happens!

Does anyone have the website for the Optivisor on hand? Otherwise, I'll google it. It sounds like a good idea rather than spending all that money for a "restrictive" use pair of contacts.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!