Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse and Mule Pack Trip from Sabrina to John Muir - interested?

Re: Horse and Mule Pack Trip from Sabrina to John Muir - interested?

Portal updated again - June 8th, 2006. Please read and respond. Have optimized trip and costs, as well as confirmed first "real" numbers and dates. Feedback needed. Hope you can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    If it's whiskey for the men, and beer for the horses, what do the mules drink?
    Wine of course, fine vintage in a box.

Can you post the link to your "portal" Ed?
    Thanks.

Hello Matthew,
    I'm trying to limit it from a Google crawl, etc. and have it semi-private. I'm sending the link to you via email/private message.

NOTICE - POTENTIAL EXPEDITION MEMBERS!
    Things are firming up. I need your votes on what you want, and you need to fill in the trip vote form right away so that reservations can be made. When you visit the portal, refresh your browser and look at all pages, because they have changed daily. Thanks to all who have sent good wishes, considered it, or decided to join us.

Changes have been made that should accomodate even modest budgets, especially if you end up walking in, camping with us, and then walking out.

I'm going to commit to plans no later than Thursday next week, and if there are enough certain members prior to that, then prior to that.

Again, thanks to all.

There WILL be an informal LF conference in Independence, CA later this year, probably September or early November. I will announce that soon, and I hope to see many LF cameras and people there for some fun shooting, good visiting and all that. That will be less complex by far!

Trip Closed. Wile E. Coyote misses the road runner again. Tune in next time for the reworked rocket shoes. Thanks to all who considered it and also thanks for kind words. Good light to you all, hope you get many great photos this year!

Update July 24th 2006

Well, we actually did go. It was a grueling little adventure. We ended up with one amazing photographer from this forum who managed to not only walk the distance we rode on muleback, but still have the stamina to shoot his LF camera at 11,200ft altitude, in a very agressive swarm of mosqutoes, thunderstorms with lightning, and soggy boots from stream crossings! True dedication, I tip my hat... hmm, well, I lost it during a lightning storm, to him.

The mules were terrrific, and highly recommended - a fantastic way to get up into the high country, plus very capable at fording streams, climbing very steep rocky trails and hauling gear. They effortlessly climbed stuff that whooped the rears of some hard core hikers, and the view from atop the mule was just grand.

More later, perhaps from the other photographer if he elects to show a photo or make comments.

While most parts of the trip were just plain miserable due to man eating insects, it was a rare adventure, and one that gives deeper appreciation to those who have done work in the great outdoors!

Attached photo - snapshot of our gear headed across one of many stream crossings on the way up to Moonlight Falls.

Another commandment to the "Crusing for Snaps" thread - thou shalt heed the weather report, bug reports, and believe what they say about thunderstorms, plus bring thy bug slaying armour!"

Hmmm, another commandment - "When traveling far afield, thou shalt eat thy Wheaties, bring less equipment than ever imagined possible, and be ready for anything"

The next adventure should be much improved, however I wouldn't have missed this one for anything.

Ed K.,

It sounds like you guys had a blast! I wish I could have gone along but other obligations conspired against me. I'll bet the night sky was awesome! When I was in the mule business, we'd sleep out under a canopy of stars watching them spin around (in between checking on the stock if they became restless for some confound reason or other)

I'm sure everyonne who went brought back great memories to last a life time (especially if anyone ate beans at that elevation )

Thanks for posting the thumbnail!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Sounds like a great trip, Ed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is looking forward to seeing the results.

The third "person" from the front of the pack train looks like me. Pure coincidence, I'm sure.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I'd like to do this in the fall after the mosquitoes are gone. I know the area pretty well, having backpacked ther a few times.