Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got the Gowland and I'm Psyched!

Re: Just got the Gowland and I'm Psyched!

I took it out for a sping this afternoon, will dev the negs tomorrow. Everything works fine, just having a little trouble w the 90/6.8 at twilight, and figuring out what f-stop to use. Also, how do you guys keep the swings zeroed? I figure I'll use levels for the tilts, but don't know what to do about swings. One last thing, the fresel is covered by a clear glass on the viewing side, and has cut corners. Is the glass just for protection? Thanks in advance.

"how do you guys keep the swings zeroed?"

Well, there is the crux of using a Gowland. You have to let go of the concept of "zeroed". The best I can do is try to remember to check all possible movements every shot, even those I wish to be in the zero position. Also, you might want to make marks on the camera to indicate the zero position, if possible.

It's a fussy, minimalist machine, so it is particularly important to work slowly and deliberately.

You can make marks on the camera for the zero positions, which I've done.

I also use a clinometer-compass made by Sunnto (you can find them used on eBay, usually from people who install TV satellite dishes) to check that everything is parallel.

Would getting a smaller rod help in packing? How do you get your 8x10 into a laptop bag David?

I remove the rail when I want to carry it compactly. The bag for the 8x10" is a knapsack designed for laptop computers with a padded compartment, not a small laptop case.

I do the same with the 4x5" Gowland when I'm carrying it in the side pocket of my Scope Pak along with my 35mm birding kit. The 8x10" has knobs instead of those hex screws, so it's a little handier that way, and I've put bigger knobs on for convenience, even if it adds an ounce or two to the weight. With the 4x5" I just carry an allen wrench to tighten and adjust it.

Sometimes I walk around with the rail attached to the tripod and the camera in the bag.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 30-May-2006 at 15:36.

For the roll film back - if it is the kind that requires removal of the focus panel to attach, you may need to order the "Graflok Tabs" from Peter. The 4x5s do not come with them standard, and yours may or may not have them. They consist of two chrome pieces that slide on the back, enabling you to secure standard Graflok components. There are also roll film holders that slide into the back in a similar manner to a film holder - however if you're asking that question, you probably don't have one.

Peter does sell diferent rails for various cameras, and it's likely that he could make a shorter one or split yours into segments if you want. Levels were most likely added by a third party. In general, swings can be "zeroed" by aligning the standards to the blocks they sit on top of, depending on your model ( an "All Moves 4x5", right? ). Your levels will obviously do a lot to ensure that your tilts are "zero". You could also use a small piece of cardboard or other "square" item to close the camera down to check that swings are zero, then do your focus as normal.

Congrats on your new Gowland!

Actually now I remember that the 6" rods in stock are only for 8x10 cameras, so scratch that.

I couldn't open the pdf on the6x7 back, so maybe someone can describe to me whether the full roll goes in the bottom or top roller, and whether there's more to it than meets the eye? Thanks.