Mods: I'm posting this here because it sort of seems to fall in-between particular forums. If it would be better placed elsewhere, please boot it to the appropriate forum.

I no longer have a darkroom and honestly may not have a darkroom of my own for another decade until after I finish graduate school, etc. Right now I use a mixed workflow and develop my film in a Jobo tank or regular SS tanks for my 120 and 35mm work. I load in a changing bag, develop in the sink, etc. Not ideal, but it works. I scan my film and do everything after film development on the computer now. I find that I mostly get the results I want, with only a few nagging difficulties. However, I know that I still have a lot of room to refine how I do things.

The problem is, whenever I start to draw out steps for dialing everything in, I find that I really only ever learned how to do so in the context of a full traditional workflow, and not the mixed workflow that I am using now and will likely continue to use and become more invested in (I'll probably get myself an Imacon scanner before I build another darkroom).

I know others here have made this same transition. I want to learn from your experience. How would you suggest one go about really refining the whole process from exposure to print in the mixed workflow? When I say refine, I mean I want to get things crazy dialed in, pushing the technique of everything at the highest level I can manage. The hardware will likely change over time (acquisition of a Jobo, better scanner, etc), but anything that does change will only afford me finer degrees of control.

So - how would you go about it?