Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF on 6 week trip to Europe... or not

Re: LF on 6 week trip to Europe... or not

I have been 4 times travelling in Europe. The last 2 with 5x7 DD and Leicas--M2 and Digital, a couple of lenses, 5-5x7 holders, 2 Grafmatics, modified Tiltall, 1 box ea. film, changing bag, Spotmeter--all in a Redwing pack. 30# and manageable. It depends on how much you want the pictures.
    Michael

Re: LF on 6 week trip to Europe... or not

Quote Originally Posted by jpiper
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm leaning now even more towards just bringing the Mamiya 6 and a monopod. I know I'll wish I had my 4x5 and its movements at times and there's still the suspicion that I could just squeeze it into our big rolling suitcase and be no worse off.

Anyway, thanks again.

-Jon
    Instead of a monopod you might consider a Slik Sprint Pro, which when fully extended is just as easy to use as a monopod (and quite tall) and yet gives you three legs when you can open them. Weight about 2 lbs and it holds my Hassy.

The only recommendation I could give as concerns taking a LF camera, would be to leave the Mamiya (ouch) and take a Graphic and two lenses. If you can shoot handheld, or even with the tripod I mention above, it would not be a overly large package if using quick loads. Outside that I would probably be quite satisfied with the Mamiya and knowing that I could probably get the film developed easier and cheaper. Your second alternative is to rent one over there for a day or two based on what you see.