Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Accumulating a large format setup

Re: Accumulating a large format setup

Thanks. I do know of Kumar, I recall that I contacted him...rifling through my emails, I see it was two years ago now...about 5x7 when I was still thinking about Intrepid (seeing as they have such a model, and I thought at the time that it might be good to have it as an option on top of 4x5). He was kind enough to bring me up to speed on that. Basically 5x7 is a no-go here, the film is hard to get and I'd just be creating problems for myself, was the gist of it. So I mentally reset for 4x5. I also didn't realize at the time just how much gear is available here - I wasn't really thinking secondhand at the time.

I accumulated my LF gear (8x10) and it certainly can be accomplished. The thing is, making photos is what keeps your enthusiasm for the effort going.
    I'll suggest:
    1. Make a list of the absolute minimum gear you'll need to take an LF photo.
    2. Make a list of what photo equipment you already have that can be used for LF work (consider filters, maybe a heavy-duty medium format tripod, trays. loupe, safe-light, cable release, etc...)
    3. Make a list of what items you can build yourself or repurpose (drying screen, back-pack or case, zip-lock plastic bag for film holders, dark cloth, glass for contacts, etc...)
    4. Try your hand at pinhole photography. This will give you some chops at handling 4x5 sheets and produce images to whet your appetite.
    5."Bundle" your purchases as much as possible. If a camera includes a lensboard or film holders, you're golden.
    6. Have FUN!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Where are you located in Japan?
    I live in downtown Tokyo.

Reverb, since you're in Japan, stick with equipment that's already in Japan to avoid potentially very expensive shipping costs. You've been given much good advice already, but it is focused on the US market. Importing from the US makes sense only if the price is very very right.

Most people who start thinking about going LF agonize over which gear (format, camera, lenses, tripod) is best for them. Eventually they settle on the ideal rig, get it, and learn by using it what really suits them. The first LF rig is usually the wrong rig. Accept that, get something you can afford and it will teach you what you really need.

One thought about format. I'm not sure about Japan and the UK, but here in the US half plate is a poorly supported obsolete format. Choose a widely used format that's well supported.

As for second hand or used gear, as soon as you buy a new lens (not available for LF) or camera (somewhat available) it transforms into a used lens or camera. Used gear costs much less than new. Just buy with the right of return and test gear on arrival. You may need to find a shop with a shutter speed tester to confirm that a new used lens' shutter is, ideally, on speciification or, practically, consistent at every speed. Check bellow for leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
    Basically 5x7 is a no-go here, the film is hard to get and I'd just be creating problems for myself, was the gist of it. So I mentally reset for 4x5.
    If you want to shoot 5x7, I think that you should find out what the availability of 5x7 film is in Japan and what the price is. Here in the U.S., 5x7 black and white film is readily available. So is Kodak colour, but it’s pretty expensive. Fuji colour film may be available in Japan.

In my view, one of the attractions of 5x7 is that it lends itself to contact printing more than does 4x5. Contact printing is simpler and less expensive than acquiring and using a large format enlarger, and will give you results that can’t be beat. As a beginner, especially, contact printing will give you invaluable experience, and you might even find it fun and rewarding.
    Last edited by r.e.; 21-Apr-2024 at 12:04.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

If you are in Japan, there is a lot of stuff right at your doorstep!

Now, whatever you do, you will need: a camera, a lens, a tripod, film holders, a light meter AND FILM. (and a dark place to load the holders). A dark cloth and loupe are very useful as well. Whatever way you go, you won't be able to make a single exposure without having everything. I have a couple of Wista bodies, some Fuji SWD and CM-W lenses (they have the same filter thread) and a load of holders. Most of them from Japan. I'm happy with them. 90% of this stuff is better then the photographers on this forum.

Just look at what you want to do. That will tell you what type of camera (monorail or field or tlr or...) and lens combination will get you started. I wanted something to go about and reasonably wide so I ended up with a Wista 45 and Fuji 75SWD. Had already a tripod and lightmeter.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

If you are trying to shoot around the house - you will want some bellows extension for more close-up images that you might shoot. I am on my third 4x5 camera. The first two cameras were rail cameras: A Graphicview II - 19 inch bellows, and an Omega View E - just under 18 inch bellows. Both cameras worked very well - but I wanted a camera that could handle wide angle lenses with perspective correcting movements. I needed bag bellows - as I needed the movements for taking images of buildings. Neither the Graflex or the Omega (Toyo) cameras that I had provisions for a bag bellows. I purchased a used Technikardan 4x5 (around 20 inches for the standard bellows) which was more portable and with it I purchased a bag bellows and a regular bellows. I currently use lenses from 75mm to 450mm on this camera.
    You most likely need to see if you can deal with a camera that is always on a tripod, or one that can be used sometimes for hand-held. There are Wista, and Toyo cameras that look very interesting, and there are: Nikor, Fuji, and other lenses available in Japan as well as others.

Oh wow, I take my eye off the screen for a few hours and it fills up with more of the good stuff. Thanks everyone. A very welcoming community here.

Some quick points that may partly answer some of the comments above (which I'll need to read over again later this evening).

# Yes, will probably stay with Japanese gear, just because it's going to be so easy to find - and I'm a bit "patriotic" about Japanese goods. Lenses, well that may include some non-Japanese as well. One day.

# I won't be doing 5x7: abandoned that a while back on Kumar's advice. The film is very hard to find. The idea was purely tied to an Intrepid model, affordable and seeming not much larger or heavier than their 4x5. I thought it might be nice simply to have as an additional option to 4x5, but as it's impractical for Japan, not much point in having the capability.

# I also dropped the idea of getting an Intrepid at all quite a while ago, when I realized I might prefer to live with something more solidly built, and I've only been thinking about secondhand ever since. I'm not much of a 3D printing fan.

# Re half plate, I had heard, again from Kumar probably, that half-plate isn't viable. The Toyo field camera I was looking at the other day had a half plate back, but would be used for 4x5 only. From discussions I read, it's not even suited to 5x7 without some DIY adaptation. I'm not really looking at that model any more, because, don't laugh, I've tilted toward monorail cameras.

# Hayashi-san, without being too specific, I'll say I'm beyond outer Tokyo. Not quite close enough to drop by the camera shops without some advance planning, both for money and time, but when I need to go, I can.
    Last edited by Reverb; 23-Apr-2024 at 05:17.

I TRUST Kumar

I have asked for a few "MINT"

and more than satisfied

also consider the shutter

Buy the best, you may need to wait

shutter repair parts are hard to find
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

@reverb, it sounds like you’ve done your analysis and settled on your requirements and constraints. Perhaps you should contact Kumar, tell him your budget, and see what he can offer.

Another potential source for you on eBay is a seller named Kumar-Japan. Lots of good equipment offered. Our Kumar told me that’s not him.