Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Karsh & His White C1

Re: Karsh & His White C1

Grease on face
    Tin Can

Tin Can, "greased men"? I rather doubt it, perhaps he used some makeup sometimes. What Karsh often did was use orthochromatic film to darken men's skin tones, a very traditional technique in studio portraiture.
    Kodak offered Tri-X Ortho 4163 film until the mid-1990s for just this purpose, and other manufacturers may have offered something similar.

And comparing Karsh against Arnold Newman, well... different philosophies, different approaches, different clients, different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Tin Can, "greased men"? I rather doubt it, perhaps he used some makeup sometimes. What Karsh often did was use orthochromatic film to darken men's skin tones, a very traditional technique in studio portraiture.
    Kodak offered Tri-X Ortho 4163 film until the mid-1990s for just this purpose, and other manufacturers may have offered something similar.

And comparing Karsh against Arnold Newman, well... different philosophies, different approaches, different clients, different results.
    It's precisely because Karsh and Newman were contemporaries of each other and shared many common subjects over their 60+ year career that their different approaches to portraiture fascinates me -

It's more telling to me that the discussion here at LFPF is about the color of the camera, vaseline and whether a center column is important.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of gear.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...