Thread: LED bulbs for enlargers?

LED bulbs for enlargers?

Hello all
    Has anyone started using LED bulbs in their enlargers?
    If so, what brand, watts, etc.

Thanks

Ralph

Re: enlarger blub

If I am not mistaken the light source for the Intrepid Enlarger is an LED panel.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

...but a bulb (legit question)...like something to replace the PH-202 in an Omega D2-V. Anybody?

I've used an LED in my 35mm Focomat 1c before. I thought I would give it a go. Worked fine but had a slight delay turning on. I went back to incandescent. I might have kept using it if there wasn't a delay. I still use it when I am trying to adjust the autofocus which takes a while. No heat. If you are going to try one, get the highest watt equivalent you can, and you'd probably want a 3200ēK bulb instead of a daylight, though maybe you'd prefer the daylight depending on how you print.

I've thought about modifying my little Minox enlarger to use a different type of bulb since the original one is long out of production. An LED would probably work fine in that but it would have to be custom, so no "bulb". The enlarger runs on 12v so it might just be a wire it up and go situation.

Lots of people have made LED heads for their enlargers, but you are probably aware of that already.

I guess what I am trying to say, before I digressed, is that a regular LED bulb will work but unless you find one that doesn't have a delay, it is not ideal.

Lightbulb Re: enlarger blub

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    If I am not mistaken the light source for the Intrepid Enlarger is an LED panel.
    Yes

and I have been testing for a decade

YMMV
    Tin Can

Re: LED bulbs for enlargers?

I tried to look up a PH-202, no luck. If it isn't a common configuration like MR-16 or an A style Edison base you probably won't find a direct conversion. You could build a "bulb" with parts from places like LED Supply. I converted an old coldlight head to LED using 20 individual LEDs in 4 colors for Split Grade Printing. The power supply is constant so instant on-off. As was said the heat reduction is tremendous, no need for IR glass like tungsten illumination.

Drew Wiley

Re: LED bulbs for enlargers?

Depends on what you're trying to do. You should call a bulb specialty supplier like Bulbs Direct. I certainly wouldn't use any substitute LED screw-in bulb if you have color printing in mind. You're apparently looking for a direct substitution and not a replacement top like an LED panel. Is this for an old condenser head?