Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lensboard Adapter Approach for Arca 110 and Chamonix 45

Lensboard Adapter Approach for Arca 110 and Chamonix 45

Please forgive the newbie question. I searched for an answer before posting, but could not find it, and the most recent lensboard adapter discussion was from 2022, and I didn’t want to add this slightly off topic new question to it.

I suspect the answer to my question is all too obvious to many here. I have been thoroughly enjoying my Chamonix 45F-2, but using it has made me realize I want certain features, and that those require another camera. In this case, the Arca-Swiss Metric C Field (with 110mm lensboards). I plan to keep using the Chamonix as well. Because the Chamonix uses Linhof size lens boards, they store slightly more compactly in my backpack compartment (actually, a Stone lens case) than if the lenses were all to be remounted in A-S boards. My lenses are:

Schneider 47
    Schneider 72
    Schneider 75
    Rodie 90/6.8
    Rodie 135
    Rodie 210
    Nikkor 300

Those three Rodies far and away get the most use, with the Schneider 75 coming in 4th. If I only take one, I take the 135 every time.

While I wait for the A-S to arrive, I’ve been looking at adapters like these.

So here is the dumb question: is this something I place on the A-S and leave there, or is this something each lens mounted to a Chamonix/Linhof lens board requires? As I write that, I realize the answer must be obvious. It would make no sense to require an adapter for each lens. Would it?

If it stays mounted to my A-S, are these adapters reliable and effective for fit and light-tightness?

And third dumb question: am I thinking about this all wrong? Is there a more sensible way to integrate the two cameras for lens use purposes?

TIA!

P.S. I’d normally ask my dealer, but he’s away right now.

Re: Lensboard Adapter Approach for Arca 110 and Chamonix 45

I would suggest that you contact S.K. Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/). I had them fabricate an adapter board for my Arca-Swiss (141 lens board) camera. I have all my lenses mounted on Chamonix boards and leave the Grimes adapter in my Arca-Swiss camera. The lenses can now move back and forth between my Chamonix 45F-2 and my A-S without issue.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Mds88 View Post
    I would suggest that you contact S.K. Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/). I had them fabricate an adapter board for my Arca-Swiss (141 lens board) camera. I have all my lenses mounted on Chamonix boards and leave the Grimes adapter in my Arca-Swiss camera. The lenses can now move back and forth between my Chamonix 45F-2 and my A-S without issue.
    That is the best answer unless you can make an adapter yourself.

For example: All of my lenses are usable on my three 4x5's - Busch Pressman, Sinar F2 and a superlight Gowland type home-built that uses Graflex boards.

Common situation and a common solution...

As noted by rfesk above, some use small lens boards like the Graflex boards, or others like in my case use a Linhof Technika style lens boards, and use adaptors to mount the lenses on those lens boards that are not native to the camera.

Unsurprisingly, for those lenses I use on my Linhof Technika V 45, I have mounted on Technika style lens boards.

For those lenses I use on my bigger cameras, I also mount all all other lenses that are small enough onto the Technika style lens boards, and have lens board adaptors for the big cameras that mount the Technika lens boards onto the big cameras.

For those lens that are too big for the Technika lens boards (or were already on a suitable lens board), they get mounted directly onto lens boards native (6x6RC) to the big camera and mount directly onto the big cameras.

Not a dumb question, but it is good to ask those who already have faced your situation.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the community...

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I’ve already got Joel working on another project. I’ll check with him about this. Cheers!

Lensboard Adapter Approach for Arca 110 and Chamonix 45

You’re on the right track, leave a 110 mm to linhoff adapter permanently mounted on your A-S and leave the lenses on linhoff’s. All you need is the one adapter. The one you mentioned is fine. Alternatively, luland makes them too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18637326000...mis&media=COPY

I would only go to SK for tailored things that no one else offers… cause it’s expensive…. Unless $ is not a consideration.

I use the Luland adapter. The SK Grimes was simply outside my budget.

What bothers me about the Leland Arca 110mm to Technika lens board adaptors, is the doohickey that extend above the top of the 110mm lens board. Will that prevent you from using a compendium lens shade? If so, I wouldn't go there.

My solution to this exact same problem was to adapt to an old MC, bayonet lens board system, which has lens boards that are smaller than either the Technika or the 110mm Arca lens boards. I have MC adaptors I've collected over the years for all kinds of cameras, Sinar, Toyo, Arca 171mm, etc. But, only one set of MC lens boards for all of my lenses. (Note that "MC" does not stand for multi-coated.) MC is the name of a company that has long since closed it's door.

For example, the photo shows the MC adaptor from Technika to the MC lens boards.

So, my recommendation would be to find reduction adaptors from both the Technika system and the 110mm Arca system to some lens board that's smaller than either of those two. But, I'd be hard pressed to suggest what that might be.

Note that I have purchased Leland adaptors, and they seem to be well made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overall.jpg  

Thanks again for all the input; it has been very helpful. I placed an RFQ with SK Grimes for a Chamonix-board-specific adapter [I happen to like Chamonix’s carbon fiber boards a lot—and I ordered the Luland adapter, because SKG has a 7-week lead time on the adapter. I’ve purchased a couple of Ries-copy tripod heads from Luland, and I've been impressed with the quality of their product. I am betting it will suffice for a while.

I sent a Chinese board back because although it looked right the attaching mechanism didn't operate. In the $75 price range I was able to find a genuine (Cambo) adapter from Japan. I saw a genuine Arca 110 x Linhof adapter on ebay last week too.