Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page AZ

Page AZ

Hi all,
    so what's your favorite shooting spot around Page?
    just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing any good spots
    TIA!

Re: Page AZ

Here's a few that come to mind:

Wahweap Hoodoos (these days requires a ~8 mile R/T hike up Wahweap Creek from the car park)
    Stud Horse Point (4WD)
    Alstrom Point (4WD)
    Horseshoe Bend
    Waterholes Canyon (need permit from Navajo Nation)
    Vermillion Cliffs from the pullout on 89 between Page and Marble Canyon, as well as closer views of the cliffs near and past Marble Canyon.
    The Toadstools near the Paria Contact Station

There's also Antelope Canyon (I've only been to lower canyon), but it seems that has become more zoo-like in recent years, and not photo friendly for large format - don't think they allow tripods anymore. Waterholes is not nearly as spectacular as Antelope but you're likely to have it largely to yourself. Haven't been to Horseshoe Bend for a few years, but driving by looks like it's been made more touristy of late.

Depending on how you define "around Page" there's also North Coyote Buttes and South Coyote Buttes (both need permits) and the White Pocket, the later two need 4WD.

Hope this helps,

Bob

thanks

Don't forget the WAVE. Have to enter a daily lottery to get a permit to hike in the WAVE area. If your lucky enough to win, don't forget hiking boots and plenty of water. It isn't a hike for the faint of heart especially in the summer.

Drew Wiley

Oh gosh - a place so popular you have to enter a lottery to get a pass? But why not a few more shots to add to the 10,000 already taken there. I've even seen digitized psychedelic color versions of the Wave published. My philosophy is to do your homework, find out where all those "must see" photo spots are, and then when you get in the area, drive exactly the OPPOSITE direction from everyone else, and find your own special spot instead. That always works for me. The Colorado Plateau of the Southwest is an enormous area with a myriad of photographic opportunities. Tips might help; but let's face it - some places have become cliches.

What does constitute some renewed opportunities are some of the side canyons of Lake Powell which have been under water for decades, but are now enterable again due to low lake levels. Of course, you'd need a boat to approach these, so would have to check with the marinas. And some hiking would be involved.

Yes, always have lots of water and be aware that in many areas you won't have any cell phone coverage. Be aware of heat and flash-flood dangers if you're insane enough to hike in summer, and really cold nights in the autumn. It's easy to get seriously stuck in sand if you drive unpaved roads. Distances between points can be deceptively far, with potentially significant elevation changes. Always have a warm sleeping bag and plenty of extra supplies with you in the car. Good hiking shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by dave4242 View Post
    Hi all,
    so what's your favorite shooting spot around Page?
    just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing any good spots
    TIA!
    I had been to Page several times but not recently until about 6 months ago. I won't go back. The Navajos have basically ruined the experience for photographers. They want to get as many people through the slots as fast as possible. ("Head 'em up; move 'em out.") No tripods. Not even monopods. Horseshoe Bend is tolerable, but why drive that far for just one location shot?
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    I had been to Page several times but not recently until about 6 months ago. I won't go back. ...
    I won't go back either.

I remember in 2009 having an entire day to myself in Lower Antelope canyon. It was the off-season (February), the gate to the site was locked with a sign directing people to the home of the guide/caretaker. I drove there and interrupted breakfast The guide followed me back to the gate, asked for "20 bucks" and then just hung the open padlock on the gate, saying, "lock up when you leave." Great time by myself working in that very special place.

Horseshoe Bend, at that time, had no road, parking lot, guides, or anything; not even a sign telling you which direction to walk. You had to find a spot on the side of the highway to safely park, and then follow a not-well-beaten path back to the overlook.

I visited again in 2019. They were taking 45 people an hour through both upper and lower Antelope Canyons, Horseshoe Bend now has a huge parking lot and shuttles back to the overlook.

I don't begrudge the Navajo their monetizing of their resources, but it is a shame to see these sacred places turned into Instagram destinations and tourist traps. I'll not be back; there are other places with fewer people that are just as wonderful. Part of the appeal of these places, for me at least, was the solitude and opportunity to commune with the spirit of the land. I can't get that in a crowd with someone hurrying everyone along, much less set up my camera and tripod for the 20+ minute exposures that I needed for much of the work I did in those canyons in the past.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I won't go back either.

I remember in 2009 having an entire day to myself in Lower Antelope canyon. It was the off-season (February), the gate to the site was locked with a sign directing people to the home of the guide/caretaker. I drove there and interrupted breakfast The guide followed me back to the gate, asked for "20 bucks" and then just hung the open padlock on the gate, saying, "lock up when you leave." Great time by myself working in that very special place.

Horseshoe Bend, at that time, had no road, parking lot, guides, or anything; not even a sign telling you which direction to walk. You had to find a spot on the side of the highway to safely park, and then follow a not-well-beaten path back to the overlook.

I visited again in 2019. They were taking 45 people an hour through both upper and lower Antelope Canyons, Horseshoe Bend now has a huge parking lot and shuttles back to the overlook.

I don't begrudge the Navajo their monetizing of their resources, but it is a shame to see these sacred places turned into Instagram destinations and tourist traps. I'll not be back; there are other places with fewer people that are just as wonderful. Part of the appeal of these places, for me at least, was the solitude and opportunity to commune with the spirit of the land. I can't get that in a crowd with someone hurrying everyone along, much less set up my camera and tripod for the 20+ minute exposures that I needed for much of the work I did in those canyons in the past.

Best,

Doremus
    The Navajos remind me of the Italians. You can't use even a monopod in museums or cathedrals there, even though I had the camera tight up against my face and wasn't blocking any other visitors at all. Of course, it was OK for someone to use a camera phone with the arms extended out full length, taking up more space than another entire person. I mean, anyone experienced enough with a LF outfit and tripod would know enough not to block access by other visitors, and this is eminently possible in Upper Antelope.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

this too wlii pass
    Tin Can

I visited Upper Antelope Canyon in the late winter of 1995. My experience was similar to Doremus' first visit. My companion and I were the only people there that day- it was quite an experience, and I did make several good photographs.
    Two things happened after that; a few weeks later several tourists were killed when a flash flood tore through the canyon, attracting national attention; and later the internet became a thing, bringing people in large numbers from all over. Images from Upper Antelope began appearing in advertising and corporate media, helping make a little-known place quite famous. I suppose that social media has only made it worse.
    One can't blame the Navajo (or the Italian museums) for how things are now; their land, their rules. I've spent enough time as a museum guard to know that clueless, entitled visitors will over-step the rules whenever possible, and what they are seeing must be protected.
    But the desert West is a very large place, and there are many other things to see and photograph... sometimes the best things are those you find yourself.