Thread: Test run of the darkroom

Test run of the darkroom

Well, I will need an enclosure around my server for sure and some sort of a mini mini ac to keep it cool when I have to shut the doors to keep the light in. My mini split will need gaffers tape to block out the green leds on the display. A set of black out curtains will work perfect for the door.

Unloaded and loaded a bunch of film and it went fairly well. Every now and then loading a piece of film gave me fits just like when using a changing tent. Over all, much faster, more comfortable and less frustrating than a changing tent. Especially when working with 8x10 film.

Of to Death Valley Friday for 3 days of four wheeling to unreachable places to photograph.

Re: Test run of the darkroom

Sounds Great! Still wonder where you get all the energy you seem to have with finishing a house and a darkroom.

Hope the Death Valley Trip goes well.

Sounds like you're on your way to a good working space. If you're really in Mesa, I'd love to hear your solution for keeping the darkroom cool during the summer months.

Wishing you good light for your Death Valley trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Well, I will need an enclosure around my server for sure and some sort of a mini mini ac to keep it cool when I have to shut the doors to keep the light in. My mini split will need gaffers tape to block out the green leds on the display. A set of black out curtains will work perfect for the door.

Unloaded and loaded a bunch of film and it went fairly well. Every now and then loading a piece of film gave me fits just like when using a changing tent. Over all, much faster, more comfortable and less frustrating than a changing tent. Especially when working with 8x10 film.

Of to Death Valley Friday for 3 days of four wheeling to unreachable places to photograph.
    Hope the rain doesn't hit there.

Drew Wiley

A lot of the side roads are still closed, washed out. Hard to say what this next round of storms, hitting right around now, will do. But rain is not forecast to go as far east as Death Valley. Random 4-wheeling is illegal. It's a National Park.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 30-Mar-2024 at 12:01.

Death Valley was cold, windy and rained the first day. Took 1 image at the Racetrack on 8x10, but it was so windy not sure how it will come out. Messed up the first image (only took 2) Took several at Badwater of the newly formed lake. Day 1 it was gone, day two it was back. Took several images there on 4x5, although, I think I jacked up two of them Been quite a while since getting out. Need to start going again every weekend.

I live in Prescott Valley, AZ. I have a mini split in the room. I would do the same if I were still in Mesa.

Energy? I just plod on thru.

Drew Wiley

I've been there three times when that Badwater lake was over 35 miles long and several feet deep. What is amazing is that it is so salty that there is no evident life in it like other temporary lakes. Even the pupfish which live in Salt Creek can't stand that level of salinity. I last photographed that lake from Aguebery Point up above. I don't know if the road leading to there is open again or not. Probably not. And I've probably misspelled it too. Wasn't till last year, however, that I printed that shot, taken on 8X10 Kodak 160 Portra VC. The air is so clear that one's sense of sheer distance gets easily confused.

Interesting. I had been there a few times in the past over 10 years starting in 2014 or 2015, this is the first time it had water. I didn't taste it, but I am sure it is super salty. Wait till the ocean decides to come on in.