Thread: OEM 1978 Chicago Deardorff v8 bellows repair

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OEM 1978 Chicago Deardorff v8 bellows repair

I have perused the forum and read many threads about how best to repair bellows, most regarding light leak issues. I know there are many strong opinions on this topic, however, I have never come across the specific issue I am currently having with these bellows.

The problem I am having is that the seam on the bottom side of the bellows (the side closest to the view camera bed), has slowly started to lose its adhesive in an approximate two inch long section. This issue has not caused light leaks or fogged film yet, but it has the potential to if a solution isn’t applied expeditiously.

My question is quite simple, what product should be used in order to adhere external bellows material to external bellows material?

I’d like to add that I tried using Gaffers Tape (Pro Gaff) as I have to patch up light leaks on other view cameras I own, but that only further exacerbated the issue considering the Gaff tape doubled the thickness of the bellow folds, so the bellows ended up catching the bottom of the rear frame more frequently when I attempted to collapse the v8 for storage.

Finally, I know there will be those out there whose sole advice will be to replace the OEM bellows. I do already have a replacement bellows from Keith of Custom Bellows UK, however, I would like to postpone replacing the OEM bellows for as long as possible.

Pictures have been uploaded to this post for reference.

Thanking you all in advance for your timely advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2196.jpg   IMG_2205.jpg