Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Toning

Foamer

Gold Toning

I'm doing well in my printing class at a nearby university. I've been using Ilford Multigrade RC paper so far. It looks nice and is reasonably priced enough to learn on. However, my goal is to make archival 8x10 prints. I intend to try selenium toning as I like a warm look, but while selenium toned RC paper will probably work for my "everyday" prints, I'm still wanting something for the long term. My instructor is pushing me towards gold toning on Hahnemule Platinum paper. I don't plan on getting an 8x10 enlarger (!) but do have a small enlarger I can make 8x10 contact prints from either film negs or wet plate glass negs. Any advice?
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Gold Toning

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I'm doing well in my printing class at a nearby university. I've been using Ilford Multigrade RC paper so far. It looks nice and is reasonably priced enough to learn on. However, my goal is to make archival 8x10 prints. I intend to try selenium toning as I like a warm look, but while selenium toned RC paper will probably work for my "everyday" prints, I'm still wanting something for the long term. My instructor is pushing me towards gold toning on Hahnemule Platinum paper. I don't plan on getting an 8x10 enlarger (!) but do have a small enlarger I can make 8x10 contact prints from either film negs or wet plate glass negs. Any advice?
    Gold toning of what process?? I assume you're talking about Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag, which is an alt process cotton paper. It has no emulsion on it, it's used for Platinum, Kallitype, Salt Prints, etc. Is that what you're talking about? You don't need an enlarger for those processes, you contact print under UV banks or sunlight. These processes are often toned with Gold chloride toner, both for color and permanence. Is this what you mean?

Maybe it varies with different papers, but selenium toner on the Ilford RC paper that I use creates no change in the tone (if dilute) or a change toward purple -- not warm. Gold toners can create a brownish tone, but that varies as well. Both will create archival stabilization, but if you just want stabilization, try Sistan. It imparts no tone at all -- but it can be used after toners that do have a tone. Gold toning is not cheap, either. If your "goal is to make archival 8x10 prints", use Sistan or dilute selenium -- or both (dilute selenium will increase DMAX).

Foamer

I'm just wanting to make silver gelatin prints on something more archival than RC paper. I do prefer a warm tone, maybe even almost sepia. The negative will be 8x10 FP4+, contact printed. I'm not getting into coating papers (such as Van Dyke) just yet.
    In contento ed allegria

You can always use RC paper to test your archival process -- even if RC paper is not archival enough for your standards -- and then move to a fiber-based paper once you've settle on a method.

Foamer

Taking a look at B&H selection, this is what I seem to come up with.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview
    In contento ed allegria

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That would be really nice for portraits, especially.

David Schaller

Taking a look at B&H selection, this is what I seem to come up with.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview
    That’s a great paper, and as others have said, you can vary the toning with selenium with different dilutions. I use dilute selenium (1:9) for archival purposes, and a little more dmax, and use that paper for the warm tone. If you have have images that you want neutral or cooler, then the regular Ilford FB paper is excellent, and less expensive. This one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...8_x10_100.html

I'm just wanting to make silver gelatin prints on something more archival than RC paper. I do prefer a warm tone, maybe even almost sepia. The negative will be 8x10 FP4+, contact printed. I'm not getting into coating papers (such as Van Dyke) just yet.
    You quoted Hahnemuhle Platinum paper. That's not a silver gelatin printing out paper.
    If you want a warmtone silver gelatin print, the Ilford fiber paper is good. But the Fomatone Classic is even better. But gold toning silver gelatin prints cools them, it does not warm them. Tone a silver gelatin print with Gold chloride and you will get cold black/blue tones.

I will use gold toner when multi toning prints, I have found the bleach sepia then gold will give lovely warm highligts and upper midtone then I will selenium for the shadows followed by a blue tone.
    Gold toner is so expensive it needs to be carefully used not to waste $$$$