Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking around Midtown neighborhood, New-York City

Re: Walking around Midtown neighborhood, New-York City

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    sounds like a blast ! do you have someone going with you to run interference and hand out your business card to excited Lookie Lous ?
    Calling cards to your IG feed or website might generate sales and pay for your film and travel
    I'm travelling alone actually. And as I don't have a IG feed nor a website, this trip will be paid by the salary I receive from my current job (sales representative in a grain handling equipment manufacturer).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The first and last time I was in NYC, Manhattan near Penn Station, the sidewalks (etc) were so crowded that even handheld photography was challenging. I can't imagine trying to set up a tripod.
    As I'll be walking around Penn Station and the Empire state building, I might go with a 35mm then...

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    maybe the OP has a Press Camera, one of those Bostick and Sullivan Hobo's, a home-made hyper-focal rig, a Lippmann / Alpenhaus / Razzle Polaroid-conversion, box camera, magazine/falling plate (like a cyclone #5) or Graflex SLR, can just use a monopod to point and shoot.
    Actually I have a Meridian 45B (aka the "American Technika"). And I'm more comfortable using a tripod than going handheld.

I'm one of those guy who take hours before taking the picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Naej View Post
    I'm travelling alone actually. And as I don't have a IG feed nor a website, this trip will be paid by the salary I receive from my current job (sales representative in a grain handling equipment manufacturer).

As I'll be walking around Penn Station and the Empire state building, I might go with a 35mm then...

Actually I have a Meridian 45B (aka the "American Technika"). And I'm more comfortable using a tripod than going handheld.

I'll offer up a little advice - from someone who has lived here (manhattan) for almost 30 years- and I make my living photographing the city. Just finished this book -https://www.brucekatzphoto.com/galle...meoAlbumID=#/0

And this-https://www.brucekatzphoto.com/galle...meoAlbumID=#/0

The city is safe, (including the subways) but is best seen by walking. If it's your first visit I would not want to shoot 4x5 - simply because of the schlep. I would work as light and flexible as possible. You are going to want to shoot a lot. Working with a tripod on the streets is not a problem - except in a few areas - but they are not allowed on the observation decks of Empire State, Top of the Rock, or the Edge, or in museums.

What are you interested in photographing - the buildings, people, skyline - specific places? Happy to give you some ideas on where to go, especially if your time is limited.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    I'll offer up a little advice - from someone who has lived here (manhattan) for almost 30 years- and I make my living photographing the city. Just finished this book -https://www.brucekatzphoto.com/galle...meoAlbumID=#/0

The city is safe, (including the subways) but is best seen by walking. If it's your first visit I would not want to shoot 4x5 - simply because of the schlep. I would work as light and flexible as possible. You are going to want to shoot a lot. Working with a tripod on the streets is not a problem - except in a few areas - but they are not allowed on the observation decks of Empire State, Top of the Rock, or the Edge, or in museums.

What are you interested in photographing - the buildings, people, skyline - specific places? Happy to give you some ideas on where to go, especially if your time is limited.
    How refreshing to see excellent professional work on this site. Thank you from a former art director.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    How refreshing to see excellent professional work on this site. Thank you from a former art director.
    Thanks Pieter, I really appreciate it - especially coming from one of the few voices of reason and knowledge here ;-)
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Naej View Post

sounds like a fun trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post

Wonderful photography, Bruce. OK, I'm prejudiced for the BW version, especially the old buildings.

Well... I had to cancel my trip: too much work to do...

Maybe later?

Thanks for your help.

And, Bruce: Beautiful pictures!

Big ditto to Ok to shoot large or media format anywhere in NYC. Obvious exceptions as above.
    Doing for years.
    Have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk