Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking around Midtown neighborhood, New-York City

Walking around Midtown neighborhood, New-York City

Hi all.

I may go to New-York City in about 2 weeks, and I'm thinking to bring my LF camera with me. I'll walk most of the time I'll be there.

My concern is having my equipment stolen. Is there a high risk that this may happen, as, I know, it takes a long time to install, take the picture and remove my installation?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Walking around Midtown neighborhood, New-York City

Quote Originally Posted by Naej View Post
    Hi all.

I may go to New-York City in about 2 weeks, and I'm thinking to bring my LF camera with me. I'll walk most of the time I'll be there.

My concern is having my equipment stolen. Is there a high risk that this may happen, as, I know, it takes a long time to install, take the picture and remove my installation?

Thank you for your help.
    New York is perfectly safe - setting up a tripod shouldn't be a problem unless you are getting in peoples way - You probably won't be able to set up in Times Square or Bryant Park, most everywhere else should be fine. Common sense goes a long way.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    New York is perfectly safe - setting up a tripod shouldn't be a problem unless you are getting in peoples way - You probably won't be able to set up in Times Square or Bryant Park, most everywhere else should be fine. Common sense goes a long way.
    Agreed

You might consider taking a smaller camera. Some indoor venues like museums, theaters, etc. might not let you in with a big camera and tripod, so you would have to check it if they have that ability or not be allowed in at all. That will limit your visits to many places. Good luck and have a great time.

I'm going to take a different position. NYC is not perfectly safe, particularly the subways or anywhere you might interact with the mentally ill or near one of the migrant shelters, where there has been an uptick in crime. While the situation is not quite armageddon, there is crime here particularly on the subways. It's why I'm in my den typing this and not on a subway going into the city to use the community darkroom.....and it's St Patrick' Day and a 1/2 marathon.

Be as sensible as you'd be with any camera. Keep it packed up until ready to use. Don't leave unattended. Have situational awareness: does the area look safe, no one acting bizarre, plenty of people around, no recent crime-scene tape ?

BTW, I've commuted into NYC on a regular basis for more than 25 years. I've never been a worry wart about safety until Covid when something changed in the city. Part of it is that criminals are emboldened because wearing a mask is not unusual, the police are demoralized and our bail laws are unreasonably lenient.

Having said that, here's a shot a few months ago from underneath one of the city's many bridges. There are many fine things to photograph

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Naej View Post
    Hi all.

Thank you for your help.
    sounds like a blast ! do you have someone going with you to run interference and hand out your business card to excited Lookie Lous ?
    Calling cards to your IG feed or website might generate sales and pay for your film and travel

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The first and last time I was in NYC, Manhattan near Penn Station, the sidewalks (etc) were so crowded that even handheld photography was challenging. I can't imagine trying to set up a tripod.

Naej: what specific areas do you have in mind when you say "midtown"?

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The first and last time I was in NYC, Manhattan near Penn Station, the sidewalks (etc) were so crowded that even handheld photography was challenging. I can't imagine trying to set up a tripod.
    maybe the OP has a Press Camera, one of those Bostick and Sullivan Hobo's, a home-made hyper-focal rig, a Lippmann / Alpenhaus / Razzle Polaroid-conversion, box camera, magazine/falling plate (like a cyclone #5) or Graflex SLR, can just use a monopod to point and shoot.

I was just there and used a Hasselblad X2D. I thought about my Rollie 6006 or even my 6x17 but there were enough people wandering around without watching where they were going last time that I opted for something quick and was happy with it. Going out in off hours (after the commute is calmed down) was part of the trick. No fear at all about anything being stolen. The Hi-line is a great option as the people there are a bit more calm. The subways were super clean so going to the zoo is a nice option as well although I don't know what is blooming right now. Bagels and pizza. Enjoy.