Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What system for 8x10 in a Jobo 2500 tank?

What system for 8x10 in a Jobo 2500 tank?

I've seen at least one if not several "reels" or holders that hold 2 sheets or so of 8x10 in a 2500 series tank (one of the longer ones, obviously).

Any experience with which seem to work best?

I plan to move to trays once I have either a new place with a windowless room, or my car back so I can run down to the communal darkroom and try it out there.

In the interim, figured I'd use the Jobo tank with a roller base, at least for the initial sheets as I get accustomed to the format.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Lachlan 717

Re: What system for 8x10 in a Jobo 2500 tank?

If your 2xxx tank has the ribbing inside (12 and 6 o’clock) where there are 3 ribs on the 12 end and a single one on the 6 o’clock, you should be able to slot 8x10 into these ribs. You will go over the first and third rib (if loading 2 sheets) and the sheets will therefore take up a half each. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7219.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	247590
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Hmm,

just checked, both of my long tanks are smooth on the inside. I wonder if the ribbed ones are designed with paper in mind. I'll have a look online and see what my options are.

This seems ok, has anyone actually used one?
    https://www.realfilmreel.com/product...up-to-4-sheets

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, you need to use paper drums with the internal ribs and the cup light trap to do 8x10, so strictly it would be a 28xx series. I use one of these for my 8x10 work as it works with my CPE2+.

If you use one of these third-party reels, make sure you have a funnel lid to connect to the center column and create a light trap.

I used the Catlabs 8x10 reel when it first came out and I hated it because it heavily scratched the film (completely removing the emulsion), a fact Catlabs didn't seem overly concerned with. I got a refund, but it just seemed a poor design with sharp edges where there are none on the original Jobo 5x4 reels. So I’d be interested to know if any of the more recent but superficially similar products avoid this problem and don’t have any other issues like sheet’s coming loose or retaining clips causing unevenness or anything like that. Until then I’ll stick with doing ‘em one at a time in a Paterson Orbital.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    Yes, you need to use paper drums with the internal ribs and the cup light trap to do 8x10, so strictly it would be a 28xx series. I use one of these for my 8x10 work as it works with my CPE2+.

If you use one of these third-party reels, make sure you have a funnel lid to connect to the center column and create a light trap.
    I have funnel lids and center columns for all of my tanks and lids. They are designed for the ATL1'500 I had that was stolen, but I found it easy to cap them and use for standard hand processing, either rolling them or standing them and inverting every minute or two.

My concern was more with the reels themselves, if they are ok for the film. Sounds like from what Dave Whatever wrote that they can scratch the film's emulsion pretty badly.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I use the Jobo 2830 and 2 sheet spacer clips placed diametrically opposite on the ridges for processing 1 or 2 sheets of 8x10. The clips keep the sheets from moving around during processing and makes it easier to load.

Yep, find a 2830. The clips are essential, I think Catlabs would have all this.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Yep, find a 2830. The clips are essential, I think Catlabs would have all this.
    They’re not “essential”.

The sheets slot into the gaps between the ribs. Also works for 7x17” sheets up against, the outside ribs (with the extension tube), so I suspect that you could also do 5x7 using this technique as well.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    They’re not “essential”.

The sheets slot into the gaps between the ribs. Also works for 7x17” sheets up against, the outside ribs (with the extension tube), so I suspect that you could also do 5x7 using this technique as well.
    I agree but it makes loading a snap.