Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How difficult is it to adjust TOP MOUNTED rangefinder on a Graflex?

Re: How difficult is it to adjust TOP MOUNTED rangefinder on a Graflex?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Basically, yes. Infinity on Graphics is set by extension of lens-board on the bed and if referenced by infinity stops. The infinity stops are adjustable. Infinity is an object long way away. The properly installed ground glass is used to set infinity.

Since you don’t seem to have the camera in your possession I’m guessing that you are hemming-and-hawing about buying it. Depending on what exactly it is, and its condition, and its price… the rangefinder adjustment is quite possibly a very minor issue. Why couldn’t/didn’t the current owner get it dialed in? Not necessarily a good metric of “can it be done” but when such detailed knowledge is given yet not previously resolved always makes me wonder. It might mean nothing at all, though.
    You provide very good advice Brian. Yes, it is local and "on the fence" about buying it. Haven't heard hemming-and-hawing in a while, that's a good one. I think only CRAZY people want to use these things at this day and age handheld. These are great beginning LF cameras for most people using the GG I'm guessing and rangefindering is not their thing. I've used 6x17's before as a street camera and wanting the same feel but not thousands of dollars. I've worked with a guy with an hassy swc, and we walked around the streets in NYC and he used it as a point and shoot. Pretty cool stuff.
    --

Since you don’t seem to have the camera in your possession I’m guessing that you are hemming-and-hawing about buying it. Depending on what exactly it is, and its condition, and its price… the rangefinder adjustment is quite possibly a very minor issue. Why couldn’t/didn’t the current owner get it dialed in? Not necessarily a good metric of “can it be done” but when such detailed knowledge is given yet not previously resolved always makes me wonder. It might mean nothing at all, though.
    He did know enough when I asked him to verify the rangefinder with what he sees in the GG so at least he knew what that meant! I'm guessing with it a little off, and he doesn't use the rangefinder at all, he just didn't bother.
    --

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Sorry, just looking at pics of the rail bed and just want to confirm. There are settings in front with foot markings, 6 - 8 - 10 all the way to infinity mark. So I turn the focus knob on the left, until the mark is at the infinity sign, then look at ground glass, and see if far things past 50 feet are in focus? The user did say he used it and shot film with it just a few months ago so everything should be working.
    That’s a focusing scale, similar to the rangefinder. It’s an alternative but is dependent on being the proper scale for the lens ( like the rangefinder cam).

Look on the bed for the little things that the lensboard pulls against. Usually silver colored with 2 screws holding them to the rails. Those are the infinity stops.

Do yourself a big favor and read the appropriate user manual for the camera. Most are easy to read and understand.

That’s a focusing scale, similar to the rangefinder. It’s an alternative but is dependent on being the proper scale for the lens ( like the rangefinder cam).

Look on the bed for the little things that the lensboard pulls against. Usually silver colored with 2 screws holding them to the rails. Those are the infinity stops.

Do yourself a big favor and read the appropriate user manual for the camera. Most are easy to read and understand.
    Thank you thank you!!! Yes will have a read of it today. Thank you! I found the link https://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacem...wn-Graphic.pdf
    --

As a complete aside, buyers tend to lose negotiating leverage when too many questions are asked and when the decision process takes too long. If it’s a 4x5 and the price is acceptable to you, then it might be worth the bet. Only you can decide that!

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Thank you thank you!!! Yes will have a read of it today. Thank you! I found the link https://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacem...wn-Graphic.pdf
    Oh, wrong one, this is the manual for Butkins

https://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_p...peed_crown.pdf
    --

As a complete aside, buyers tend to lose negotiating leverage when too many questions are asked and when the decision process takes too long. If it’s a 4x5 and the price is acceptable to you, then it might be worth the bet. Only you can decide that!
    Totally agree! The price is right. Exactly what happened a few weeks ago with another one and owner said the rangefinder was correct. And by the time I got back to him, he had sold it already. But then again, who knows how "correct" that rangefinder is. But this one is $100 USD cheaper and local, and I can pick it up. I'm starting to thing that many of these 70 Year old things are going to be off a little bit. These have been banged around so much in the back of trucks and who knows what. I'm thinking with the good advice on this thread, and the service manuals, and owner's manuals I got, I'm feeling confident I can fix this. If not, I can do the GG focus, f/16, slap in a holder, pull and shoot.
    --

Be careful of your assumptions about how press cameras were treated. They were professional tools and generally treated as such since income depended on them. Many were used quite heavily yet many survived in excellent condition. All old stuff ages and may need (probably needs) adjustment and overhaul. The biggest threat to older gear are repair and mods made but inept people after the equipment was retired from professional service.

Be careful of your assumptions about how press cameras were treated. They were professional tools and generally treated as such since income depended on them. Many were used quite heavily yet many survived in excellent condition. All old stuff ages and may need (probably needs) adjustment and overhaul. The biggest threat to older gear are repair and mods made but inept people after the equipment was retired from professional service.
    Good point! I buy old bikes (I'm a long time cyclist) and completely take it apart and restore them. I've seen a lot of "sketchy mechanics" and some have access to welding tools. Yikes. But once a while you get one in pristine condition, that has been sitting in someone's garage and still has original clean grease in the bearings.
    I like to take things apart and put them back together, I've just never done it with cameras. I will print the glorious PDF manuals today.
    --