Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The F.64 BPX Back Pack does not seem to have a place for a tripod. What do people do?

The F.64 BPX Back Pack does not seem to have a place for a tripod. What do people do?

I bought this bag for my Intrepid 8x10. I saw that many large format photographers used it. But I do not see a place for a tripod. What do most people do when it comes to hiking with it? I am not sure what to do and I am traveling with it soon.

Re: The F.64 BPX Back Pack does not seem to have a place for a tripod. What do people

Neither of my 8x10 backpacks have a place for a tripod. I just carry it in one hand or over my shoulder. Besides, with the size/weight of tripods generally used for this size camera I can't really imagine strapping it to my pack. Take a look at Ben Horne's videos on YT. He does have his tripod strapped to his backpack.

Re: The F.64 BPX Back Pack does not seem to have a place for a tripod. What do people

Usually a good place for a tripod is by using a strap attached by a loop under head area, and other end looped over the ends of the 3 closed legs, so the pod can be over the other shoulder from camera bag evening the load/balance over both shoulders...

A long satchel like soft case with strap is a useful tripod carrier... They also sell them in art supply stores to carry portable easels, drawing tubes etc...

Steve K

If you are not using pouches on both sides, you can use the loops to strap on a tripod. It just about works with my CF tripod, but probably would not work for
    a heavy or tall unit. It is handy to be able to get everything onto one combined pack so you do not leave anything behind, even if you carry the tripod on site. But it can mess with the balance of the pack.

That does seem to be an oversight by all the camera backpack manufacturers. You can use that front pocket and a strap up top if there is nothing there. Or balance the load with Side pockets. There used to be a tripod 1/2 quiver that fit over the outside of a pack with a cup at the bottom and straps but I haven't seen one in use. If I am hiking more than a mile I will use the front pockets or place it horizontally under a top cover and strap it down. If you want a cheap storage bag - folding camping chairs often come with a nylon bag about the right size.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Carrying your tripod in hand is a satisfactory approach for some terrain; depending on its weight, it might even be a better approach. Heavy gear strapped to a pack away from your center of gravity makes for a greater burden.

Setting down a pack with a tripod strapped to it can be a nuisance if you're just stopping for a breather. On the flip side, when you happen upon a potential subject, the first thing you're likely to do is to position your tripod. If you change your mind and carry on for alternate tripod holes, you've saved yourself the hassle of unstrapping and re-strapping the tripod.

With all of that said, there are certainly times when I want to have both hands free as I hike.
    I wouldn't advise modifying your F64 to carry a tripod. The materials used aren't great, and the overall design is not suited for such a load. If you don't want to carry your tripod in hand, you might be better off with a LowePro Super Trekker. It's a discontinued model but they are out there in excellent condition.

If your backpack does not have attachments to carry a tripod centered between your shoulder blades, high above your waist you should add custom straps and avoid carry the tripod off center if you're planning to carry it any real distance.

I used to have a 4 point rig that connected to D-rings on the shoulder strap and waist belt. The tripod was connected to the rig with velcro at the head, the mid chest area and just above the waist. I need to draw up a pattern and make another one, or a stand alone one for carrying a tripod without a backpack

Oh I also carved an ergonomic handle to screw onto my monopod to use it as a walking stick.

I have 2 of these bags -don’t ask- and I just carry the tripod in hand. This would only not work if you need to use hiking sticks but in that case I just bring another bag. I find it cumbersome to strap a tripod to this bag and it doesn’t have the quality to take the stress in the long term if you tried.

Same here: I have a f.64 bag for my Meridian and I keep carrying my tripod in hand. I tried to put it on one side of the back-pack but it wasn't staying in place. Too heavy maybe? The tripod I use is a Berlebach. In my opinion it is not really a heavy tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    If you are not using pouches on both sides, you can use the loops to strap on a tripod. It just about works with my CF tripod, but probably would not work for
    a heavy or tall unit. It is handy to be able to get everything onto one combined pack so you do not leave anything behind, even if you carry the tripod on site. But it can mess with the balance of the pack.
    I haven't tried it with my f64 as I carry my tripod. But you can move both pouches holding film holders to one side. That should leave enough room on the other side for a tripod.