Thread: Darkroom Tempering Valves

Darkroom Tempering Valves

Hi,

I am piecing together a darkroom in my basement and am currently looking at what I need to do for plumbing. One item I am thinking about is a tempering valve ( to control/regulate temperature and water pressure flow).

What brand/type of tempering valves do folks tend to put (if any) in their darkr ooms. Are there any "features" which are a "must have"? Are there big differen ces in brands?

Many Thanks, Robert

Get a catalog from Delta 1 [see ad in Shutterbug].
    Alec

You have two options: 1) a mechanical valve 2) an electronically controlled valve.

After watching two friends struggle with poor control with mechanical valves, I went the electronic route and bought a Hass Intellifaucet D250 - somewhat more expensive but wonderful to use.

I'd highly recommend that you buy a Hass.

-Paul

Old School Wayne

or you can be really cheap and custom build one more or less from plans at www.darkroomsource.com.

Thats what I'm doing. I just bought most of the hardware today and have it dry-assembled in from of me. The only part I dont quite have figured out yet is the thermometer. I cant find a stand-alone thermometer designed with this purpose in mind, and I'm not sure how to get a simple dial thermometer to stay in there under pressure. Calumet has a thermometer pipe fixture that might solve the problem, but I'd rather find another cheaper way.

Wayne there and keep if there.

Check your cold water temperature during the coldest part of the year. (Let the faucet run a long time to get the temperature in the ground.) Mine is about 65 degrees F. (San Francisco area.) The mixing valve I looked at needed the cold and hot water temperatures at least 10 degrees away (in opposite directions, of course) than the regulated temperature. I didn't get one because it wouldn't work because my cold water was too warm.

Make sure you check this out before you buy something.