Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouch! This hurts!

Re: Ouch! This hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    A sale of a few prints should offset material costs if one works wisely...

Steve K
    You beat me to it, my thought exactly.

I hear you!

All it does for me is it forcefully encourages me to slow down more and be extra careful and discriminating when to comes to firing the shutter.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Starving artist

common

plight

i have lost weight
    Tin Can

Of course, there is this option, it can be opened under a dark red safelight.

https://www.zzmedical.com/x-ray-acce...-ray-film.html
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

As for the "the sale of a few prints should offset material costs".... if there were enough eager buyers to match the amount of passion on this forum - then yes, but realistically?

And while I've sold many prints over the years - more than enough to offset costs (although I've never been quite able to subsist solely on that specific income stream, at least as a married human who likes to enjoy other aspects of life)...I'm now, as a "retiree," in the mindset that there are a few creative "itches to scratch" (like finally building an 11x14 enlarger) while I still have some energy, but which might not "pay off" financially...and as my other retirement income becomes a bit less generous, I do need to be more careful. But itches are itches...and scratch them I will!

(and might I dare to guess that many others here are very likely in the same boat?)

I find it far more difficult to sell prints now, than it was even five years ago. I suspect the ubiquity of high quality smartphone cameras and inkjet printers has devalued traditional printmaking. Why spend $300-$500 on a hand made print when you can get a nice print with your phone and an online print service for twenty bucks??

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I find it far more difficult to sell prints now, than it was even five years ago. I suspect the ubiquity of high quality smartphone cameras and inkjet printers has devalued traditional printmaking. Why spend $300-$500 on a hand made print when you can get a nice print with your phone and an online print service for twenty bucks??
    It’s not easy out there. Every time the film price discussion comes up my mind goes to discussions I’ve had with Mark Citret over the years. A top tier artist in B&W photography with a long, distinguished history and plenty of gallery representation, and some years ago he decided Kodak had priced him out of their sheet films. He started using Ilford but found with the prices creeping upward he’d have to get ready for something else, so he tried Foma but found he was having difficulty tray processing it without scratches. Last I corresponded with him he was thinking he might have to dig out his roll film backs and stop using sheet film.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I feel like in the last 5 years print sales have varied wildly, but overall trending down. However I've always thought that photography, especially more traditional photography, is very hard to sell as anyone can make basically the same image. Of course we can argue all day about the composition or whatever but ultimately it takes a certain person to find good photography to be of interest, as opposed to other mediums which seem much more difficult to the average person.

Anyway, I've sadly run out of my stash of 4x5 TMX, more or less. Not likely to buy more. I still have many, many rolls of 120 TMX. Generally trending towards smaller formats lately, but also in a bit of a transitionary period so who knows.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

As a point of reference, Tillman Crane, longtime large format photographer, has switched entirely to digital capture, digital negatives and then platinum printing.

https://www.tillmancrane.com/about-tillman/darkroom/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Of course, there is this option, it can be opened under a dark red safelight.

https://www.zzmedical.com/x-ray-acce...-ray-film.html
    I tried x-ray once as well as some Ortho Litho. Still have some of the Ortho Litho lying around somewhere. I was never able to master them though. To be fair I probably could have tried harder.

I found I had better luck exposing photo paper in the camera.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan