Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusted shutter leafs

Re: Rusted shutter leafs

Those shutters are very simple mechanic, there is no gears at all inside. Just a lever and a spring, plus a few screws. They are more like a Packard and definitely not as complicated as a compur...
    The rusted one in the picture is actually working but it hang sometime because of the friction of the blades.

Rust can be very bad looking sometimes but the actual loss of material is actually 7 times less than the rust thickness, thats why i'm not worrying too much.
    I don't have much time these days to fix it but I'll update the thread when it's done.

And does anybody have expérience with ultrasonic cleaner ?

I take this is a simple shutter like an Ilex. Then you have a good chance if you can get the rust off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    On WD40, I had a flood in my basement and two shutters were submerged, and full of water, I took the lens elements off
    drained as much water out of the shutter and re drowned them in WD40 till I could find time to get to them.
    After cleaning them in baths of naptha and 99% isopropyl both are in working condition like they never experienced
    being submerged in a flood. I've never has a issue with WD40 promoting rust, just the opposite.
    This is the use for WD40, WD stands for "water displacement".
    Expert in non-working solutions.

WD40 will displace water and flooding it, then removing it saved you. I refinished my father's table saw and sprayed it down with WD40 to hold it. Came back 2 days later to find solid RUST! Go to any machine shop or gunsmith and ask about WD40. I don't know any professional shops where it hasn't been banned.

The wd40 washed off the protective layer of oil. Next tine clean with wd40 then wipe with light machine oil.