Thread: simple universal development tank, 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10

simple universal development tank, 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10

so it has been a while, in fact since I started using all kind of formats, 2"x3" to 8"x10" and whatever standardized or nor in between, that I use this method for single sheet development in daylight inversion tank with less possible chemicals, 1 liter for 8x10 tank being the max.

This did hit me when I was manipulating Tetenal botttles, like the ones of Ultrafin for instance (but any Tetenal chemical in 1 liter uses same bottle) and metal 120/135 tanks like the Kindermann, with soft plastic lids.

Tetenal bottles and Kindermann tanks feel same diameter in the hand. Tetenal bottles plastic is lightproof dark mass and with some flexibility, plastic Kindermann-like lids have some level of flexibility too. So cut a bottle to the wanted height to accommodate for a given film size, snap the lid. The Ø of the bottle is a bit more than the lid, the rest is tolerance and flexibility. It snaps tight,, and in case of slight leak, a bit of tape or rubber tape around fixes it.

This way i have tanks for 2x3, 4x5, 5x7. 8x10, but also for 135 and 120 spirals.
    In order to have some fluid circulation at the back of the film, I insert a chunk of perforated 0,5mm aluminium sheet with an insert.

I have 3D printed holders for 6 sheets in 4x5, I could do something for few sheets 5x7 and at least two 8x10 at a time. In these formats, 3D printed holders for sale are for the much wider Jobo tanks.

of course despite these bottles being very convenient, one can use whatever similar black plastic to make cylinders of same size, but it is more work (warm air gun, butyl sealant, ...)..
    Tetenal company btw seems completely dead by now.

in video:

Re: simple universal development tank, 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10

Or you could just use the metal tanks with a rubber band on the negative to form a taco shape. I use a 5 reel tank for 5x12 and can put in one negative or sometimes two negatives . for 4x5 I have not found anything that beats the stearman tanks for ease of use.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography