Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condoms For Tripods

Re: Condoms For Tripods

Also known as a package of 3 umbrella bags!

I see, two lengths. I thought the second set were for when you forget to remove the spikes from the tripod legs!

I use a wood tripod and never had a problem in the rain or snow with the legs getting water inside and freezing. Also no problems using it in swamps and rivers where there is sand and dirt that could get in the the locking system.

I have a friend that would only use aluminum or carbon tripod. Said I was crazy when I bought the wood tripod and spending all that money on it. I bought the tripod 25 years ago and I an still using it. In the pass 25 years he has bought 15 tripod. Most failed due to dirt getting into the locking system and wearing everything out and not being able to get new repair parts..
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Jeesh...talk about clickbait! Then again...given the fact that there are already way too many tripods running around (reproducing like bunnies every time we turn our backs...shame on them!) - maybe this is a good idea?

But seriously...how would these things actually work? Set up your tripod...then somehow get these little bags over the leg bottoms - then pull them up without upsetting the apple cart? What about further fine leg adjustments? And wouldn't they be filling up with water? Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    I use a wood tripod and never had a problem in the rain or snow with the legs getting water inside and freezing. Also no problems using it in swamps and rivers where there is sand and dirt that could get in the the locking system.

I have a friend that would only use aluminum or carbon tripod. Said I was crazy when I bought the wood tripod and spending all that money on it. I bought the tripod 25 years ago and I an still using it. In the pass 25 years he has bought 15 tripod. Most failed due to dirt getting into the locking system and wearing everything out and not being able to get new repair parts..
    I have an old Zone Vi "lightweight" tripod that I use when shooting in the wet muck. Works great still, but heavy as heck.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Drew Wiley

Cute idea, but I'm skeptical if they'd even hold up a single day under the conditions they allegedly protect from.

Some wooden tripods like the Ries have a time-tested design keeping the legs operative even when wet. With lesser ones, like the Zone VI model, which was simply a modified unclad wooden survey tripod, the leg section would miserably lock up when wet or frozen; I gave mine away - it was undependable. Well made CF tripods should have effective seals to each section and optional spikes. Gitzo, I think, even offered a reverse-leg pattern for sake of routine water use. But after use, I always re-extend the legs and rinse them off well, and let them dry fully extented, especially if exposed to salt water. Mud and guck? - that's what the bully mass and spike feet of a Ries are for - those take to mud just like a hog in a wallow.

I'm guessing this is for carbon fiber tripods that get really "crunchy" if you get sand and muck in them. You really have to fully extend them and rinse them like you would a modern trekking pole after each use outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    But seriously...how would these things actually work? Set up your tripod...then somehow get these little bags over the leg bottoms - then pull them up without upsetting the apple cart? What about further fine leg adjustments? And wouldn't they be filling up with water? Am I missing something here?
    The longer it takes and the fussier it is to setup the tripod, the better the photo right :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    I have an old Zone Vi "lightweight" tripod that I use when shooting in the wet muck. Works great still, but heavy as heck.
    Same here. Happy Camper I bought mine new back in the day, has proved it's worth. Road beaten but holding together well.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain