Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5x7 enlargers?

Drew Wiley

Re: 5x7 enlargers?

The nice thing about a 5X7 head and diffusion system or mirror box is that you tend to get more even illumination on 4x5 film without resorting to a ground convex diffuser matched to a specific lens. But I just like the Durst 5x7 enlarger in general; it's more solid, precise, and versatile than any mere 4x5 enlarger I can think of. I often use the taller column in conjunction with longer focal length enlarging lenses to outright alleviate any need for corner and edge burning.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    For evenly distributed light on the baseboard, I used ground glass with the center darkened with a pencil.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Durst 5x7 enlarger in general; it's more solid, precise, and versatile than any mere 4x5 enlarger I can think of.
    How to state that you've never used a De Vere 504 without stating that you've never used a 504...

For the record, I do work with 138's as well as De Vere's and the Durst's biggest strength is their relative speed of adaptability for things like wall projection, but I'd never choose them over a De Vere 504/507/5108/515 if I had the choice.

Yes, the DeVere 504 is more solid than a 138 S. I used one regularly, years ago. You would not ( like I did on Monday ) knock the enlarger head off-centre slightly by catching your head on the neg carrier, on a 504.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    You would not ( like I did on Monday ) knock the enlarger head off-centre slightly by catching your head on the neg carrier, on a 504.
    You'd be more likely to knock your own head off centre...

I'd also like to know which Durst designer thought it was a brilliant idea to put the head turn lock control in a position on the left of the head where people mistake it for a mirror of focus controls on the right...

Yes, I'm not sure still that I am 100% sure of every control.
    The DeVeres are well know for their front controls, but I did find the focus on the 504 rather too coarse, it could have done with a fine adjust or at least a fold-out lever on that knob.

Not to discourage anyone from seeking out the amazing offerings from Durst...but my own quest for a 5x7 enlarger began with a search for a 138...and what I found was a confusing array of various components from various sources - and a number of "complete" units which had been cobbled together in the interest of what had been the specific needs of the seller...needs which did not match my own. In other words, Durst has over time created such a vast array of accessories and choices that for someone like me, who just wanted to get something simple and straightforward...my search for a Durst 138 indicated that it would likely be anything but - unless I were to luck out with a complete unit which was used non professionally by a likeminded individual.

So when the Zone VI series 2 appeared (as I'd mentioned earlier), as a relatively simple, "standard" setup with its XL column and VC head...in "as new" condition for a great price...I made the choice to go in that direction, and am glad I did!

But I will reiterate my earlier thought about Durst and DeVere enlargers...that had the condition of the Zone VI not been as "stellar" as was mine when I purchased it - I'd have continued my search for a Durst or DeVere - because they are solid and precise enough to be brought back to factory spec even if they'd been pounded on previously.

Edit: not to imply that the Zone VI is not a very sturdy machine, as my example certainly is!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    but I did find the focus on the 504 rather too coarse, it could have done with a fine adjust or at least a fold-out lever on that knob.
    They can have a bit of backlash, but if well adjusted are pretty easy to land focus repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Not to discourage anyone from seeking out the amazing offerings from Durst...but my own quest for a 5x7 enlarger began with a search for a 138...and what I found was a confusing array of various components from various sources - and a number of "complete" units which had been cobbled together in the interest of what had been the specific needs of the seller...needs which did not match my own. In other words, Durst has over time created such a vast array of accessories and choices that for someone like me, who just wanted to get something simple and straightforward...my search for a Durst 138 indicated that it would likely be anything but - unless I were to luck out with a complete unit which was used non professionally by a likeminded individual.

So when the Zone VI series 2 appeared (as I'd mentioned earlier), as a relatively simple, "standard" setup with its XL column and VC head...in "as new" condition for a great price...I made the choice to go in that direction, and am glad I did!

But I will reiterate my earlier thought about Durst and DeVere enlargers...that had the condition of the Zone VI not been as "stellar" as was mine when I purchased it - I'd have continued my search for a Durst or DeVere - because they are solid and precise enough to be brought back to factory spec even if they'd been pounded on previously.

Edit: not to imply that the Zone VI is not a very sturdy machine, as my example certainly is!
    I found same setup, Zone VI type 2, a 5x7 and an 8x10. In really beautiful shape. I moved both by myself with a Subaru. I have these in my basement darkroom built into a extremely sturdy setting.
    Before this I had a couple Elwoods, wonderful old workhorses. I would go for a Devere if I was young and famous but the Zone VI enlargers with their cold VC heads are terrific.