Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my show, "Bearing Witness"

Re: my show, "Bearing Witness"

Gregg -- Don't be in a hurry to leave us. This forum needs more fine examples of digital photographs and exhibits to help some of the old timers to feel comfortable if they take advantage of all the progress that makes photography more versatile and in many ways better than ever. Thank you for the link to your exhibit. It was fine photography in a lovely setting. What a difference between that and what us hicks from the sticks do in exhibits! For 30+ years I exhibited in a local arts and crafts show. It was poor business, but art shouldn't be hampered by that. We each had a 10x10 foot outdoor space, and had to provide our own means of display. We also had to provide protection against unfavorable weather. Lack of such a nice exhibition space as Gregg showed us might seem like a handicap, but the ingenuity shown by many in overcoming those obstacles can be a good show in itself. I designed and built display panels that incorporated weather protection that proved adequate for all of those years. The two day show involved most of 5 days of work, even without producing the art itself. My pickup with its 8 foot bed was packed full with maybe 50 pieces of art in 16x20 frames, the display panels, a tent, a dolly, and more. One day was partly spent in loading that up. Much of the next day involved setting up the display. We couldn't drive close to the display area, and had to move almost everything with a dolly. Then came the two days of the show and packing up to leave. The last day was spent in unloading the pickup and storing everything away for the next show. It was worth while then, but I'm far too old to do it all over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chaut001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	247368

Well, I'll be lurking around here - I can't stay away from some of the silliness that goes on! I can appreciate the effort you put in to display your work, Jim. I have to confess that hanging my show was a pleasure, but there was a lot of stress involved in the fact that I was supposed to provide food and drink for the reception! Fortunately my wife came partially to the rescue with some of her fantastic sourdough bread.

One thing that was interesting is that many of the people who showed up are not art/photography aficionados, but they looked at the work carefully and thoughtfully. I think it helped that the photos were fairly local landscapes, and many people here are rooted in the land - hikers, farmers, hunters, skiers, etc. There was one image of a large boulder in a somewhat obscure place, and three unconnected individuals knew exactly where it was!

Very nice collection of pictures! I regret that I'll not get to see them in person.

Even if you don't post here much any more, you can always lurk.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Gregg, nice body of work. Great to see it on the walls of a gallery. I'm not sure if I can get there but will try. I'm slammed as well trying to get everything for my show opening in Astoria this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Gregg, nice body of work. Great to see it on the walls of a gallery. I'm not sure if I can get there but will try. I'm slammed as well trying to get everything for my show opening in Astoria this Saturday.
    Understood! It's a pretty good hike to get down here. I try to take in any sort of exhibit or show I can find when traveling, but I have never traveled just to see one.

[QUOTE=h2oman;1707216]I have been a part of this community for some time, but am on my way out. Not mad, and not completely, though! It's just that I've always printed digitally, and now my capture is pretty much all digital as well. So this isn't really a place that I belong anymore.

Gregg

Congratulations for the exhibition. Many spectacular images and I congratulate you and your wife for the hard work!

I would suggest that you still have much to share with the analog community. Although you may not be involved with film and darkroom printing you have a wealth of knowledge to share with a younger generation that includes many who want to keep the craft alive, including those who are interested in a hybrid workflow that involves film capture and digital printing.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

That's a lot of hard work to frame up that many prints. Nice shots !

multiplex

beautiful work !
    I wish I lived closer.
    good luck with your show -
    definitely stick around.

John