Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Has Digital Changed Darkroom Printing?

multiplex

Re: Has Digital Changed Darkroom Printing?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    At the Oscars last night, Christopher Nolan started his acceptance of the Best Director Award with a tip for other Directors -- especially budding Directors -- "Consider celluloid".

He made Oppenheimer with 70m film because, like most of use, he considers film to be the real McCoy.

But even before his Oscar, his movie created an explosion (appropriately enough) in FILM use -- and the manufacturing of it, of course:

https://www.thewrap.com/oppenheimer-...wrap-magazine/

That's good NEWS for all of us film lovers -- whether you consider it real or fake.
    yup, the more use of film and celluloid, the better!

Drew Wiley

Different cameras evidently have different Ai software. I gave the instruction "fall" to my wooden view camera, and it fell to the ground and broke.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    'nough said.
    btw I have been doing photo restoration work for various people over the years. kodacolor looks nothing like reality.. not sure how anyone can mistake a photography with realism ...

Celluloid? What little that's left is kept in fireproof vaults, it self ignites at 150C and doesn't need oxygen to burn. Nitrocellulose is the primary ingredient of smokeless gunpowder. Celluloid was replaced by acetate "Safety Film" by 1950.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Celluloid? What little that's left is kept in fireproof vaults, it self ignites at 150C and doesn't need oxygen to burn. Nitrocellulose is the primary ingredient of smokeless gunpowder. Celluloid was replaced by acetate "Safety Film" by 1950.
    I think the guy was being fancy and just meant film . the fumes from non-safety film / collodion based film is toxic ...
    back in the day ( almost 95 years ago ) when the Cleveland Clinic burned the fumes and fire killed a lot of people
    it was a light bulb and x ray film that did it ...

https://case.edu/ech/articles/c/clev...linic-disaster

back in the day my friend was gifted a box of collodion/wet plate negatives ... he couldn't accept them because he was afraid they'd burn his house down

Collodion and cellulose are two different things.

Drew Wiley

Celluloid can ignite. Nitrocellulose was a popular early plastic used even in toys. The "nitro" prefix tells it all. Massive collections of historical valuable negatives have been deliberately incinerated because local museums would have their fire insurance cancelled if they didn't get rid of them; and few have the budgets to properly freeze them.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Celluloid can ignite. Nitrocellulose was a popular early plastic used even in toys. The "nitro" prefix tells it all. Massive collections of historical valuable negatives have been deliberately incinerated because local museums would have their fire insurance cancelled if they didn't get rid of them; and few have the budgets to properly freeze them.
    there used to be someone on the old ph-aux-3-pee-O site that had some sort of museum collection of sensitive glass images. I remember him saying he was living a'top of 10,000 collodion negatives ... I don't think his last name was Bronson, but it sounded like a Death Wish to me...

Drew Wiley

There was a private museum somewhere around Denver holding the life work of some late frontier photographer who used a camera 4 ft wide. They had stacks of his nitrate negatives, but were ordered to destroy them, and had neither the time nor budget to copy them. A local photographer did get permission to contact print just a few of those with a makeshift setup, and I actually saw a couple of those huge contact prints - not ideal quality, but now it's all that's left. What a loss to the historical record!