Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Toronto.

Hello from Toronto.

After a 20 year hiatus I've decided to get back into analogue photography. First up, let me thank those of you who kept it alive over the past 20-25 years.

My approach to film will be pretty much most others are now doing, shooting and developing film, and then scanning the negatives to use to create digital and alt-process prints.

As far as previous experience, I started film photography around the age of 10 with a zenit and a portable enlarger, and ended with a toyoview 4x5, beseler 45 enlarger and full darkroom. While I did not pursue a career in photography my interest was strong enough to study photography in college. My main areas of interest were and still are architectural and landscape photography, as well as alt-process printing.

I've now got a Voigtlander Bessa 1, a Cambo SC, a bunch of roll film backs and I am making a couple of field cameras and backs to shoot 6x17 panoramic, and 6x9 architectural photos.

The one area I lack any practical experience and knowledge of is film scanning. I cant afford drum scanning, nor a full frame digital camera copy camera with shift set-up, so I'm looking to find which film scanner meets my needs and budget, and then to learn the best practices for scanning film.

Re: Hello from Toronto.

Welcome from Hamilton.

Welcome. I'm afraid I can't help you with scanning, but others surely will. I remain in the dark, so to speak.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

loujon

Welcome aboard TorontoBuilder!

Glad to have you back on the wet side and looking forward to your contributions to the group.

Welcome!

Welcome from Halifax, NS :-)

If you can afford it, the Epson V850 is an excellent scanner. BUt if you can't, a second hand V700 or V750 will do wonders. I've been using a V700 for more than 10 years. I do recommend Silverfast for scanning software.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-Pierre View Post
    Welcome from Halifax, NS :-)

If you can afford it, the Epson V850 is an excellent scanner. BUt if you can't, a second hand V700 or V750 will do wonders. I've been using a V700 for more than 10 years. I do recommend Silverfast for scanning software.
    Based on everyone seeming to recommend this route I'm pretty much going with the latest model Epson V### that I can afford and silverfast for general scanning of every image I take, and when I want to print large I'll splurge for drum scans... but I'm also going to test local Imacon Flextight scanning services too.

Halifax and surrounds have some great photo ops... lucky you.

Welcome

Maybe we need a LF get together For coffee? ON a weekend afternoon.
    ED

Thanks Ed for the welcome.

Sure a get together one weekend afternoon sounds good. What part of the city are you in?

Welcome from a refuge of the GTA (Mississauga), now in Sarnia...

You will find a large number of Canadians on this site, but do not tell the others about it, as they might get suspicious of our motives.